Sunday School

Sunday School 27th December 2020.

This topic contains 73 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

Secular ‘values voters’ have become an electoral force in the US.

A Republican COVID-19 denier judge I hold in contempt.  But science won’t be enough to beat the pandemic.

Jesus Christ Superspreader, the musical you don’t want to see or hear.

The Federal High Court in Nigeria has ordered the release of Mbarak Bala.

The most common religious identity for young Americans is “None”.

This weeks’ Woo: The needle and no damage done.

Climate Crisis: Some optimistic news to end the year on.

Holy Macaroni! The Church of the FSM tops the Kiva donations leader board.

The Top Ten Dinosaur discoveries of 2020.

Could young Ravens be smarter than adult Chimps? If only we could hear them thinking?

Quantum Philosophy: 4 ways Physics will challenge your reality.

Why doesn’t Gravity happen instantly?

Using machine learning to map the brain.

What will happen when SantaNet learns the true meaning of Christmas?

How to use social media if you have social anxiety.

Long Reads:  The last-minute killing spree of Trump and Barr. Who was the Buddha? Ten science discoveries you may have missed in 2020. Don’t be an exile from the dreamscape.

This week I will read this book: I have a few to finish reading…….

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  The Great Evangelical double down. I would look forward to going to Hell if it were real. A Royal Institute lecture on Quantum Physics. Does it pay to cheat? The 3D Schröder Staircase.

Have a great week everyone and a Happy New Year!

Strega

Thanks, Reg!!

_Robert_
    Participant

Fortunately, Sean Feucht (JC Super-spreader) will not be singing at the funerals of all the unfortunate folks he kills with his thirst for fame.

_Robert_
    Participant

I didn’t realize (re “Who was the Buddha? “) that the Buddha is associated with such a lack of historicity. Perhaps I just needed a few more lifetimes. Buddhism often seems like more of a philosophy with some pretty good ideas, relatively speaking. When I really look at it…it’s just more of the same nonsense wrapped up in Eastern mystery and in some ways even more batshit than the Western nonsense.

Strega

@_robert_  Buddhism is kind of airy at the superficial level, similar to meditation practices. However, people love complexity so over the years, more and more mysticism got added, along with some spurious rules. None of these things added any value to the philosophies of peace and self alignment floating at that ‘superficial level’ but it’s probably why there’s no ‘master scroll’ as all the extra shit got added piecemeal.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Strega.

My problem with Buddhism is similar to that of Christianity. Both posit the core idea that we are born with some form of “corruption”. The Christians are born sinners in need of salvation and Buddhists in need of some form of transformation.

I was once asked by a Scientologist street hustler what I would like to come back as in the next life.

I answered “Myself, if it is obligatory that I must”.

No, no, you can’t choose yourself.

“Why not, I don’t have any issues I need fixing so I could only get stronger”

No, you can’t re-incarnate as yourself.

“OK, then I would love to come back as a ladies field hockey pitch on a wet Sunday for finals day.”

Trying not to laugh she said, “No, it must be a person or animal”.

“You are too smart to fall for this Dianetics bullshit. Throw that clipboard into the trash bin and go for a coffee with me”?

Emm, OK.

Let’s make someone’s New Year brighter……….with a small donation to their gofundme page.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I have a big soft spot for Buddhism.  I think it has two advantages over conventional religion: 1) it places the power within the individual instead of a higher power; 2) it makes sense.  I don’t think it portrays people as “broken”, but I agree that there are two kinds of people: awakened and unawakened.  Some people are naturally awakened by their life experiences and they don’t need Buddhism, or they come up with the same ideas themselves.

I think it’s the kind of thing that you live out rather than intellectually “solve”.  In other words, the way to do it is to live it.  It suffers from being highly abstract but I guess it can’t be any other way, since it’s a science of everyday life.

Davis

I would say that yes…of all the stupid shit to believe in Bhuddism in general (like in the very light westernised version of it) is not as stupid as other stupid bullshit. That isn’t to say it isn’t stupid. Bhuddism is stupid. Ranging from its outright misogyny (women are unambiguously less both within the clergy, within the community and within the rebirth cycle), the sense of fatalism that can easily come from the religion, an overly puritanical view of the sensual pleasures of life, the mistreatment of lay people (most notably in Burma and Tibet but certainly a problem everywhere) and all sorts of bullshit woo like reincarnation, karma and dharma. That’s just five things I find offensive about Bhuddism. Just five of them. But yes, in terms of brutal toxicity…they aren’t bad in most countries except for Burma and historically in places like Tibet where they are and were VERY bad. But over all comparing with the Abrahamic religions, Bhuddism is easy to overlook on the toxicity scale because Christianity and Islam in particular beat the living shit out of Bhuddism for pure suffering and believing in the most mostrously absurd shit. However, any useful folk wisdom that Bhuddism offers has already been well extracted by psychologists and western medicine and one need not buy the bullshit from Bhuddism to take the few useful things from them (that other religions and philosophy have also well covered all over the world).

Our new Overlords think kind people are happy people.

Article.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

That’s kind of weird, but interesting.  Buddhism’s been saying that for 2600 years.

As well as being a religion, it’s also a way of thinking that can be transferred to other areas.  We can think about things in a Buddhism-informed way.

Apparently the Sanskrit root Budh means “awakening”.

When it comes to it, it seems that atheists just don’t like “off the peg” philosophies, full stop.  They think they’re “woo”.  I don’t follow off the peg philosophies either.  You would think that Stoicism would be more popular.  But I still think there’s a gap in the market for an atheist alternative to the holy books.  When you look for it, there’s really nothing there right now.

Unseen
    Participant

Regarding Ask Ethan: Why Doesn’t Gravity Happen Instantly?

Any scientists in the house?

I’ve been suffering under a common delusion: Gravity is a distortion in the shape of space. So now it has a speed? How so?

_Robert_
    Participant

@_robert_ Buddhism is kind of airy at the superficial level, similar to meditation practices. However, people love complexity so over the years, more and more mysticism got added, along with some spurious rules. None of these things added any value to the philosophies of peace and self alignment floating at that ‘superficial level’ but it’s probably why there’s no ‘master scroll’ as all the extra shit got added piecemeal.

Hi Strega, we started Zillow-ing for a late Spring thru Fall place with some acreage up in the NEK and then the bug hit and we put that on hold for now. Wow, there are some nice places up there ! My SO has never even seen snow, so I doubt she could make it thru the Winter.

_Robert_
    Participant

Regarding Ask Ethan: Why Doesn’t Gravity Happen Instantly? Any scientists in the house? I’ve been suffering under a common delusion: Gravity is a distortion in the shape of space. So now it has a speed? How so?

You forgot the time element. Gravity is a distortion in the shape of space-time and propagates as wave, relative to a frame of reference.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.