Sunday School

Sunday School 28th June 2020

This topic contains 23 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Humanists at Risk: Action Report 2020.

Here are questions a child in Sunday School could answer!

Pompeo’s Human Rights Panel is so Catholic. * I suspect many pastors are happy with him though.  I am certain that they are all happy with their decision to fire a lesbian music director. What? The Catholic church in Detroit has a morality clause?

DeVos forces Schools Districts to divert public school dollars to private religious schools.

Yes, its about time to cancel White Jesus.  But then again his mammy was a white woman??

Followers of Mexican Jesus do their best to care nothing for their neighbor.

What God has not joined together: Humanist weddings in Scotland now outnumber Christian ones.

Northern Ireland has become less religious and much more peaceful.

In many countries atheism is underpinned by social hostility.

Survey: Most Americans aren’t comfortable going back to religious services. I am not saddened to hear that as a religious recession is a good thing. The Churches are alienating millions of young people with their failure to acknowledge they have lost their battle to legally discriminate against other citizens. Of course, most young people don’t see it as alienation. They seldom consider it and if they do, they want nothing to do with it.

This weeks’ Woo: What you eat does not boost your immunity; it can only impair it.

Climate Crisis: Arctic scientists register “the highest temperature ever measured”.

What do bars, strip clubs and churches have in common?

Why fairness matters more than equality – three ways to think philosophically about justice.

Reality is the way I construct it, right? Maybe I should ask the nomads from Namibia.

How to tell science from pseudoscience (read the comments too).

The meaning of Time in the place where humanity’s earliest ancestors arose.

Some bears are smarter than the average bear but our greatest invention was invention itself.

Long Reads:  American attitudes to Climate change. The hunt for a better Quantum Theory. Humans and cultural complexity over 50,000 years. Party and protest: the radical history of gay liberation, Stonewall and Pride

What to do about the ungoverned globe?

This week I am reading this book: The Biggest Bluff. (more here).

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video: Cancelling the Bible. The science of personalized vaccines.

Have a great week everyone!

* Some of my links are to pages behind firewalls. As I am automatically logged into them, I sometimes forget that they are when I create story links. Apologies if that is the case and the link is blocked.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

_Robert_
    Participant

Those botched church art restorations are hilarious. Perhaps the body of graphic art talent has shifted into digital mediums, leaving paint and canvas expertise in the dust. Why does not the lord softly guide the hand of the restorer? Biblically he is very concerned about his image.

Some verse in Exodus says (paraphrasing) “no man that sees the face of God shall live”. Moses got a flash of His hind quarters one cool evening as recorded by Moses. As he and his followers were unlikely to have been very white, especially having wandered in a desert for 40 years, I am sure he would have mentioned that He had a white butt.

It is said that Moses is the author of the Pentateuch which is odd because it gives a description of the death of Moses. And then it turns out that several people saw the face of God, the creator of the Universe and did live. I think I need to speak with a theologian about this.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I’m not sure what’s going on here.

Good one Simon. Why does God have grey hair? He cannot age if he is immortal. Maybe our “sinning” does it? OK, I know what I must do.

Davis
    Participant

Every time there is botched art people laugh just a little bit and then get furious. The government needs to pour more money into professional restaurations of buildings and art. Even atheists agree. We don’t want to lose national treasures, even if a lot of them are about Jebus and holy virgins.

Unseen
    Participant

Those botched church art restorations are hilarious. Perhaps the body of graphic art talent has shifted into digital mediums, leaving paint and canvas expertise in the dust. Why does not the lord softly guide the hand of the restorer? Biblically he is very concerned about his image.

Was there a link to church art restorations in this week’s Sunday School? I missed it. I hope I don’t look stupid by asking.

The 5th topic with this link.

I am all in favor of preserving religious art. It has its place with its links to our history. I sometimes visit churches to appreciate the stained glass windows. I even like some choral and pastoral music. Not for the lyrics of course but for the sound of the human voice.

Unseen
    Participant

The 5th topic with this link. I am all in favor of preserving religious art. It has its place with its links to our history. I sometimes visit churches to appreciate the stained glass windows. I even like some choral and pastoral music. Not for the lyrics of course but for the sound of the human voice.

A lot of great classical music was religious, if not explicitly then implicitly, like all of Bach’s work. A beautiful melody is neither more nor less beautiful if its inspiration was religious.

Davis
    Participant

At Christmas I always go see Handel’s Messiah and or Bach’s Christmas Oratorio. At Easter (if possible) Bach’s St. John’s or St. Matthews Passion. They are monumental works of Western civilization and always put me in the Christmas spirit. I think of it like seeing a Star Wars film. I don’t believe in the force nor that Luke was the chosen one.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I’ve got a book of Fra Angelico’s religious art.  It expresses a lot of things that aren’t to do with theology.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Why fairness matters more than equality

This is a very thorough exploration of the concept of fairness.  We can have charity, equality of outcome, equality of opportunity, proportionality to effort (merit), or proportionality to deservingness, all covered by the domain of distributive justice.

If what we want are fair opportunities without unfair disadvantage, then meritocracy cannot be the answer. Intelligence is at least to a significant extent hereditary.

The ability to work hard is partly hereditary and the result of specific parental and social expectations.

Hence, the same groups of people will always end up at the top of the social ladder. This can hardly be just.

But some people can never get very far no matter how hard they work.  Society or circumstances hold them back.  If it’s the first, that’s unfair.  We don’t see it as unfair if an “act of God” holds someone back.

Fairness is importantly linked to responsibility and accountability.

I don’t know why the author said that.  Maybe because we have a responsibility to be fair to others and not just ourselves, and because an evaluation of deservingness holds us accountable.

Unseen
    Participant

I’m not sure what’s going on here.

The guy on the left is getting ready to take dump. The guy on the right is yelling “Look! A grouse!”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.