Sunday School

Sunday School 7th February 2021

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

The National Prayer Breakfast should be abolished.

Virginia votes to abolish the Death Penalty. Next door in North Carolina, atheists are officially banned from holding public office. (Read the comment section).

For these conservatives, winning religious freedom lawsuits isn’t enough.

An Irish atheist and a Catholic priest have a Q&A on blasphemy over the arrest of an imaginary God.

Why is the Australian Christian lobby waging a culture war over LGBTQ issues? Could it be that their members are Christians who follow the Bible? Just listen to them speak to discover how bigoted and morally bankrupt faith can make them. Do they take pride in their proud boys?

What can Bigfoot apologetics teach us about religious belief?

Middle East: Are people losing their religion?

This weeks’ Woo:  Misinformation and myths about Vaccine manufacture.

Environment: Carbon Capture technology.

Myths of rigor and illusions of discovery are holding science back. It’s time for an overhaul.

An evolutionary timeline of Homo sapiens.

Self-esteem is overrated.

Three new space missions are about to reach Mars.

Could entropy be more of a symptom or effect of the flow of time, rather than the root cause?

Vaccine Nationalism is morally indefensible.

I give a three fingered salute to those that drink milk tea.

Long Reads: Ancient Christianity’s effect on society and gender roles.  The Dawn of CRISPR Mutants. In defense of shame. A machine in the ghost. Highway to Hell: A trip down Afghanistan’s deadliest road.

This week I will read this book: Until the End of Time.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  How religion fuels conflict (from the Middle East article above). Do you agree with Bill Maher here?

Have a great week everyone!

_Robert_
    Participant

Do you agree with Bill Maher here?

Yeah, and that is rather obvious to me however he has a problem with virus control efforts because he misses his live audiences and drops a few credibility points with me there.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

@robert, Yes for someone who can be so lucidly insightful (incite-ful ??) at times, I recall having cringed at some of the (almost) “anti-VAX” statements in the past. It does also diminish his credibility points tally for me.

@strega – You are most welcome, as always 🙂

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

North Carolina’s retention of Unconstitutional, unjust, ridiculous laws is not confined to religious tests for public office, nor is this phenomenon confined to North Carolina.

North Carolina is one of 8 States that either bans Atheists from running for public office or gives Theists special privileges in running for public office, despite the explicit prohibition in the U.S. Constitution.

Also, despite the U.S. Supreme Court ruling of Lawrence vs. Texas, North Carolina and 13 other States retain laws against so-called “Crimes Against Nature,” Sodomy, and Cohabitation, all passed and upheld in the name of religion.

And, of course, there are countless other laws, both in statute books and in administrative agency regulations.  None of them have anything to do with protecting Life, Liberty, and Property, but everything to do with either government picking winners and losers,  redistributing wealth, or prohibiting “victimless crimes” in the name of paternalism, tradition, or, yes, religion.

Here is just a small sampling:

Looney Laws

http://www.loonylaws.com

Peter McWilliams also wrote a whole big book on the subject: Ain’t Nobody’s Business If You Do: The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in Our Free Country.  Presently, it is out of print, but you could order it used from Amazon or other book stores, as well as borrow both editions on Archive.org.

Peter McWilliams was an early advocate of medicinal marijuana.  Basically he was murdered by the U.S. Government’s laws against marijuana because he was arrested, tried, and incarcerated for violation of marijuana laws while self-medicating.  McWilliams took marijuana to relieve nausea caused by his chemotherapy for HIV/AIDS-related Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and the nausea kept him from holding down his cocktail of medicines to treat his conditions.

He has a memorial Web Site here:

Peter McWilliams, R.I.P.

http://www.mcwilliams.com

Theocratic laws and looney “victimless crime” laws are a good reason why all laws need a sunset provision, wherein they are automatically repealed unless re-voted for in the Legislature.  Yes, it would make the Legislative process more difficult and that is the idea.  Acting as God Incarnate should never be easy.

@theencogitationer. Thanks for the links.

I think many of these laws are restrictive of personal freedom and the pursuit of happiness. What one does, either alone or with other consenting adults, in the privacy of their own “castle” should be no-ones concern.

But conservative Christians can’t bear to think that what they consider to be “vices” are actually giving people pleasure. If they are experiencing pleasure then they ain’t on their knees in prayer.

They seem to give so much of their time thinking about other peoples’ sex lives or the moral ruination of people that smoke weed that I am always suspicious of them.

Then you hear stories of a “pastor caught with——(fill in the blanks)” but who repents and announces that his personal friend Jesus has forgiven him and I marvel at the adulation their flock showers upon them afterwards. Bigots, the lot of them.

Once upon a time in Ireland some citizens had to ask 4 million people if they could get married. The Church lost that one.

After just now returning from running a 25 minute 5K in the cold (35 F) I sit here preparing to smoke a little weed. If I am “caught” (as if I give a f***), I will ask the judge to take almost 40 years of my criminal behavior into account. That is, after I make a big point of “No, I won’t swear on that book but thanks for assuming I am a Christian”!

_Robert_
    Participant

Absurd laws don’t bother me nearly as much as the constant march towards financial deregulation, and the resulting bail outs in a so-called capitalist system. This next one will be a doozy. The US stock market has become utterly stoopid (Is Tesla really worth 1500 times it’s earnings? LOL). Of course when the big sell-off of the NASDAQ starts, the extreme wealthy will be buying. They can hold out for years if they need too.

Once a big player like VW, BMW or maybe Nissan improve their batteries they will take the fight to Tesla.

Tesla have been innovators and even “disrupters” in the game but their share value is unrealistic, given that it will not take too long for the competition to catch up. I would be cashing in Tesla stock and playing with some of the house’s money to invest in other electric car developers, especially German makers. I don’t think the Tesla slump to a more value based price too far away.

Unseen
    Participant

Once a big player like VW, BMW or maybe Nissan improve their batteries they will take the fight to Tesla. Tesla have been innovators and even “disrupters” in the game but their share value is unrealistic, given that it will not take too long for the competition to catch up. I would be cashing in Tesla stock and playing with some of the house’s money to invest in other electric car developers, especially German makers. I don’t think the Tesla slump to a more value based price too far away.

German? VW couldn’t meet emission requirements and so cheated. Requirements other manufacturers were meeting.

I would never count Elon Musk out. He could easily develop a better battery technology that German, Korean, and Japanese manufacturers would be forced to license.

Now, if Jeff Bezos gets involved.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Unseen.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

Elon Musk gets bailed out by taxpayers alredy.  He’s been paid $.4  Billion by NASA to basically blow stuff up on the launch/landing pad even though it was proven decades ago that an upright rocket can’t safely land vertically without a perfectly level surface that simply does not exist in the real world.

And all of his “Green Energy” subsidies go into making electric cars that catch on fire and don’t have sufficient numbers of charging stations to become ubiquitous    Also, his vehicles aren’t even “Green” when you consider that they’re still powered by electricity from the existing sources of coal and oil and the batteries are made of highly toxic heavy metals and acidic chemicals that end up in landfills and water tables.

The one really beneficial and profitable idea he has is completely satellite-based Internet.  This would take Internet communications and commerce to places untouched by wire infrastructure such as the most distant parts of Africa, Asia, Antarctica, under the Oceans, and even to future bases on the Moon and on other worlds.

Also, the only way Totalitarian regimes could suppress this super-augmented Internet is to shoot the satellites out of orbit, very hard if there are 42, 000 satellites up there and all can re-rout traffic around any damage.

Elon Musk should stick with satellite-based Internet before diversifying into more speculative or even absurd ventures…all with his own butter-and-egg money, of course:

Elon Musk’s 42,000 StarLink Satellites Could Just Save The World
    John Koetsier Senior Contributor
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2020/01/09/elon-musks-42000-starlink-satellites-could-just-save-the-world/?sh=270a832f4c2c

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Your last post brings back cynically funny memories of schadenfreude related to Eighties and Nineties Televangelism, all parodied in this great Genesis video:

Now, in the video on Ireland’s referendum, is this Sinead the man’s going door-to-door asking about in the video Sinead O’Connor?  She’s been all over the map with the Church and religion in general: First she tears Pope John Paul II’s picture on SNL and screams “Fight the real enemy!” then she joins the enemy and now she’s converted to Mohammed’s  “Religion of Peace and Compassion…Or Else!” (TM)

With all that and all of Sinead’s other craziness, I would think the man would be going door-to-door asking for Bono instead. 😁😉

Now, let me get this straight:  You run a 25-minute 5K and blaze too?  That is amazing no matter what the smoke is!

Not meaning to pry, but have you heard of homemade THC pills?  So I’m led to understand, a body could use them to get the buzz without the down-side of smoking.  Might even get a second wind for another 5K.  Just something to research and hat’s off to you either way.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Addendum for clarification

Unseen
    Participant

@theencogitationer:

Now, whether they can land vertically reliably may be another matter entirely.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Unseen.

In no particular order;

Yes, I do sometimes take a THC lozenge instead but I find they can be a bit of a wipe out unless my tolerance is “high”. But I don’t consume enough weed to build up my tolerance. I probably only “use” about once a week, Friday or Saturday night mostly (especially “movie nights”) but sometimes I don’t bother for weeks. The lozenges look exactly like cod liver oil lozenges. These are good but I am an old hippy type so I like the routine of preparing it, hence the jar.

“Sinead” is nobody in particular. Imagine if a man had to ask 4 million people if he could get married.  That is basically what LGBTQ people had to do in Ireland (and still in many other countries) before the referendum on marriage equality. Even then the law kept saying “No”. In order for us to change the law so that any 2 people could get married, the Irish population voted “Yes” to change the law, to the dismay of many Catholics. Now nobody has to ask complete strangers if they can get married!

Thanks for the Genesis clip. I had not seen it before.

My regular time is 27 minutes for the 5K though I did a 23:48 on the dreadmill last year (fubared afterwards for a hour though)

German? VW couldn’t meet emission requirements and so cheated. Requirements other manufacturers were meeting

Yes, but emissions are not going to be an issue with electric power.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.