Sunday School

Sunday School April 28th 2019

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

If thats the case then Americans have once again co-opted a word

Spain spreads murder, Catholicism and communism all over the “New World”, thanks guys.

Perhaps Spain owes the Americas reparations for all the damage.

Davis
    Participant

Perhaps Spain owes the Americas reparations for all the damage.

Spaniards in general are quick to recognise the horrors that the kingdom of Spain (as well as its republics) committed in the past. They are deeply ashamed of the brutality of Christian missionary work, virtual enslavement of people, mass murder and the inquisition. There is a growing movement for the government to sell off all remaining nationalised companies and do stop giving any form of support to companies which grew in Latin America because of Spanish colonialism. As for reparations, I think that’s a good idea. I’ll ask my friends what they think about that.

All European countries who colonised are guilty of this, most especially UK, France and the Netherland. Belgium was particularly nasty and the have made some forms of reparations to the Congo. The USA is also guilty of Colonialist attrocities in Central-America and the Phillipines and as far as I am aware, Americans tend to know little to nothing about it and I would be pretty surprised if voters were willing to pay reparations let alone say sorry. How is honoring the treaties signed with the Native Population that white settlers wiped out in the USA? I’ve heard for a lot of tribes they still haven’t recieved the terms they were promised decades ago, signed in good faith (sometimes at the end of a pointed gun).

PopeBeanie

I can imagine people being very confused when watching youtube videos.

OMG, you Europeans and your quaint grip on tradition. Step aside, or just assimilate already. Resistance is futile. Language and religion evolve, dog!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  PopeBeanie.

Davis
    Participant

OMG, you Europeans and your quaint grip on tradition. Step aside, or just assimilate already. Resistance is futile. Language and religion evolve, dog!

Gross.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Can you spot the fallacies and flaws in this argument?

Dialogue with an Atheist

This is a dense steaming pile of bullshit.  In what way is it bullshit?  It’s one rhetorical question after another, putting words in our mouths, and generally misrepresenting atheism in a very smug and simple-minded way.

why do you feel you need forgiveness? (Because deep down, Mr. Atheist, we all know that you do.)

Passive aggressive too.

It would be easy enough to dismiss him as not representative of mainstream Christian “thinking”. His views do not make him an outlier. I have debated many people with similar views and similar misconceptions about atheists.

Many, like him, have no real understanding of what atheism means. The vast majority of them have assumed it is the denial of the existence of their god. Over this weekend I debated one of them who did not know that moonlight was actually the reflection of the light from the Sun. He was not trying to tell me I was wrong, he just did not know. I wondered to myself if he had ever heard of Bill O’Reilly.

But this is what you get when you learn Science in lessons derived from the writings in “the goat herders guide to the galaxy” and of marauding desert tribes from over 2000 years ago. FFS.  Yet they are great at pretending to know things they cannot possibly know.

Priests like the guy in the article will continue to spew their rhetoric to the applause of morons so long as they remain stuck in the 15th century.

Sometimes I do find articles by more intellectually sophisticated apologists but they are few and far between. It is good to be able to dissect the weaker arguments as they are quite common and often the more educated ones have built their own arguments on the failed and debunked framework of the weaker ones.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Coffee Break Video: TED: The new science of generosity.

This is a great video and I really like the way the speaker, Elizabeth Dunn thinks.

The findings are that giving or helping makes us happy, but only when we have a personal connection with the people we are helping.  If the recipients are anonymous then it doesn’t cheer us up.

The findings are that giving or helping makes us happy, but only when we have a personal connection with the people we are helping. imaginary

I agree Simon. A personal connection with Jesus or any god does not really help.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.