Sunday School

Sunday School August 25th 2019

This topic contains 64 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Davis 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Ivy
    Participant

@Reg

No, How do you decide? Tell us and we will debate your answer.

I don’t have a concept of justice to come up with on my own. But I don’t claim to. I don’t claim to be so smart that I can tell God what he should or shouldn’t do or else he doesn’t exist. I do believe there is a just God. But a lot of times we don’t understand his justice until hindsight. It’s like they say hindsight is 20/20.

And I could never explain God to you in a way that would satisfy your question because you don’t believe in God, and you never will. You’ve already made up your mind. And you’ve already decided there is no evidence for a God. So that is your subjective opinion

You’ve already made up your mind.

Again you are presuming to know how we think. I never made a decision not in believe in the god you claim exists. I have never found any evidence, objective or subjective to warrant given my cognitive consent to the proposition that “Yes, this God probably exists and I should give it further investigation”. I never got to a place where I asked myself “OK am I going to believe in the Christian God or not”? My lack of belief in down to the lack of evidence and not the denial of anything I have ever discovered to suggest there may be a god. I do not believe what you claim to believe. I see no reason too. When did you decide not to believe in Allah?

And I could never explain God to you in a way that would satisfy your question because you don’t believe in God, and you never will

You have proven yourself incapable of explaining your god to us that would warrant further consideration. Open a post called “My God” or something like that and explain it to us and why we should consider it to be true. I don’t believe you can.

You’ve already decided there is no evidence for a God.
    Correct. There is none that I can find. There is no objective evidence only the subjective arguments that theists offer me. I have debunked them all. Several times.

and you never will.

Probably correct as I don’t expect to find any reason to change my mind. But I will become a theist if someone offers me a shred of evidence to show where I am mistaken.

I don’t claim to be so smart that I can tell God what he should or shouldn’t do.

Then why in the next line do you state that you believe he is a just God.

I do believe there is a just God.

The “atheist’s wager” I referenced gave equal weight to the Christian God being just or unjust. We don’t know either way. You have presumed to know his mind by claiming to believe he is just. That is to say He is not unjust.

The point of my argument was not about justice. Tell me where the argument fails in its logic.

Do you think Pascal’s Wager considers God to be a just god?

Do you agree with the Christian in this video? What is wrong with the atheists point of view?

Ivy
    Participant

I don’t claim to be so smart that I can tell God what he should or shouldn’t do.

Then why in the next line do you state that you believe he is a just God.

There are a LOT of things in my life (for example) that I could say, “That’s not fair! Why did God “let” that happen? My sense of judgement would have been to say that it is not fair. Only in hind sight can I see that God uses those experiences for the good of others. Not me. That’s what I meant.

Ivy
    Participant

I have never found any evidence, objective or subjective to warrant given my cognitive consent to the proposition that “Yes, this God probably exists and I should give it further investigation”.

That’s because you’re looking for other people to tell you what you think you would need to hear….you’re looking for objective evidence through the subjective explanations of the theists that knock on your door

I have never found any evidence, objective or subjective to warrant given my cognitive consent to the proposition that “Yes, this God probably exists and I should give it further investigation”.

That’s because you’re looking for other people to tell you what you think you would need to hear….you’re looking for objective evidence through the subjective explanations of the theists that knock on your door

Absolutely wrong. Again you are making presumptions about me.

Ivy
    Participant

@Reg

Do you agree with the Christian in this video? What is wrong with the atheists point of view?

I watched the video, and I think they are both wrong. First of all, there is absolutely no person on the planet that can convince another person of the existence of God. Only God knows how why and when through what means he would reveal himself to a person and it is (I believe) a personal relationship (Two-way street). I don’t believe that there is any proof I could ever offer you because I am not God. Only God can reveal himself to you. And only you can choose to either accept or reject him. I’m saying “him” but I don’t know the gender it doesn’t really matter God is genderless. I think the entire argument in that video is completely flawed. You don’t come before God and say, “OK, I’m going to believe in you just in case there is a hell.” That’s sort of half assed commitment defeats the entire purpose. It defeats YOUR entire purpose. So no. I think it’s wrong.

Ivy
    Participant

Do you think Pascal’s Wager considers God to be a just god?

I don’t know

Ivy
    Participant

When did you decide not to believe in Allah?

Because Allah is not a personal God.

Ivy
    Participant

Open a post called “My God” or something like that and explain it to us and why we should consider it to be true. I don’t believe you can.

Not without breaking the site rules 😂

_Robert_
    Participant

First of all, there is absolutely no person on the planet that can convince another person of the existence of God.

It probably would not take that much to convince everyone, really. I believe in the existence of dinosaurs. I believe in the existence of the planet Venus. I believe in electro-magnetic forces. It amazes me that god’s main concern is our belief, yet a 400 million year old, 2-inch extinct trilobite did a better job of proving it’s existence than god.

Ivy
    Participant

It probably would not take that much to convince everyone, really.

God HAS shown ample evidence of his existence. You just choose not to see it as such. God has revealed himself to all people across time. There is evidence of that in every culture on the planet since the dawn of our existence. But what? You think God should reveal himself to you in some “extra special” sort of way? It doesn’t work like that. You don’t get to pick and choose what God does or doesn’t do. He is God. And you are not.

Ivy
    Participant

You can’t even properly define what your “evidence” would look like. It’s all just excuses to not have to address the issue seriously.

Ivy
    Participant

So this time rather than “just sayin” please take the time to explain what you think the merits of Pascal’s Wager are and why we should not consider it a poor intellectual argument. This time you do the work and we will debate your answer.

Personally I think the whole “Pascal’s wager vs. the Atheist Wager is pretty stupid. I think both of them are wrong and come from a very egocentric and entitled stance.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.