Sunday School

Sunday School December 15th 2019

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Millennials are leaving religion and not coming back. From Pew Research, 10 facts about atheists. Check out this site about how people let go of faith beliefs. But I don’t think it makes us more intelligent that believers.

USCIRF raises alarm about Speech Laws that restrict Religious Freedom in more than half of African countries.

There will soon be much religious violence in India with the passing of the new citizenship bill.

A Canadian atheist wins a legal battle over mandatory attendance at Alcoholics Anonymous.

Tous les Canadiens français ne sont pas catholiques. Un quart sont athées!

I so wish this had been me on my American Airlines flight last week. It will be every time from now on. Remind me why I am wrong to call theism a delusion. The neighbors that They love to hate.

Ohio’s elected Liar for Jesus Timothy Ginter lies about his knowledge of Project Blitz.

This weeks’ Woo: The dubious benefits of eating placenta.

Climate Crisis: The five corrupt pillars of climate change denial.

The five most ground-breaking scientific achievements of the decade.

Three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar. You can’t tell me that’s just a coincidence.

Some of the new species described this year.

Seven million years of human evolution. Our ancestors may have evolved their ability to speak more than 25 mya. We may have domesticated ourselves once we split from our extinct relatives. We can now use DNA to estimate the lifespan of different species.

Gender Justice sues rural pharmacies for refusing to dispense emergency contraception but what if women had total control over pregnancy?

First images of a black hole unveiled as Physics World 2019 breakthrough of the year.

Physics shines a light on Reality. Maybe the fantasies of our imagination (like gods) hinder our search for truth? But let’s keep things in perspective.

What we get wrong about Time. (See video below).

How do machines think?

Long Read: On working with Alex Jones of Infowars.

This week I am reading this book: The Meritocracy Trap.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  A fly-through of the Universe. From TED – The power of vulnerability. What is Time? Taking courage from Darwin – a new talk from Richard Dawkins.

Have a great week everyone!!

The Garden of Love

I went to the Garden of Love,
    And saw what I never had seen:
    A Chapel was built in the midst,
    Where I used to play on the green.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut,
    And Thou shalt not writ over the door;
    So I turn’d to the Garden of Love,
    That so many sweet flowers bore.

And I saw it was filled with graves,
    And tomb-stones where flowers should be:
    And Priests in black gowns, were walking their rounds,
    And binding with briars, my joys & desires.

by William Blake.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

We may have domesticated ourselves once we split from our extinct relatives.

We must have domesticated, i.e. removed the dominance hierarchy of traditional great apes, but I think it happened by 2 million years ago, along with the rise of stone tools, pair bonding and cooperative breeding.  This means that Neanderthals, and every human species, would also have been domesticated, and this is supported by a lack of evidence for violence in the archaeological record.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

On working with Alex Jones of Infowars.

Sounds like a classic “dark traits”, “me first” personality.

The more I hear about young people leaving religion the better I feel. It is a joyous thing to hear.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Gender Justice sues rural pharmacies for refusing to dispense emergency contraception

I feel bad for the lady who was denied emergency contraception, and it’s shocking that the pharmacist lied about its availability.  Corruption is always shocking.  It seems to be true that when someone does wrong, they ground their justification in shared norms or mitigations (“you can’t have it because it’s not available” sounds better than “get lost, slut”).

A “holier than thou” sense of piety allows Christians to have no problem judging others based upon their own bible based set of inferior morals standards. To many of them contraception is against some absolute law so there are absolutely no gray areas. They have no problem casting the first stone. In this case they are the only ones throwing them. The rest of the world have a few centuries ahead of that disgraceful mindset.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

In this case, it’s the dishonesty and lack of integrity I can’t stand.  I can accept that other people have different views about contraception than me, but it’s up to the individual to make their choice in what they lawfully do.  Don’t want to use emergency contraception: don’t use it.  Just don’t dishonestly force others into the same position against their will.

Yes, but when they are members of a professional body that cares for people with medical prescriptions (i.e. patients) and when those people are expecting a professional and discreet service from you, then it is all the more egregious. If someone did that to a friend of mine I would leave their mind horrified.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

You’re right, it’s criminal that a medical practitioner tried to force a woman to either have an abortion, or a baby, against her will.

It is probably also criminal that the pharmacist did not honor a legal prescription from a recognized medical doctor. I would sue the pious idiot and give the monies to a group that helps women whose human rights have recently been overturned by the liars for Jesus that work for Project Blitz.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.