Sunday School

Sunday School March 8th 2020

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

A school in Kentucky is to start teaching students religious tolerance and respect for the Constitution. Secular students in Missouri testify against “right to discriminate” bill. In Arizona the TST continues its unholy fight over the definition of religion. Kudos though to the State Senate of Connecticut for its Secular invocation.

This will be a long battle when Trump’s Christian right worships power more than they worship God. They are all members of the “Liars for Jesus” club and Roger Stone has formally joined their ranks. It will be down to the politically engaged but religiously unaffiliated to vote for change as Super Tuesday was not so super for the religious right.

Evangelicals are already blaming the LGBTQ community for Coronavirus while the cycle of “hate your neighbor” continues to be peddled by Catholics in Vancouver. Quelle surprise. Gerald Lyons, on the Board of Education in Jersey City, had heard enough anti-LGBTQ rhetoric from the religious.

On ending the bigotry against atheists at Harvard.

The Catholic Church is still allowing its paedophiles to teach about imaginary Jesus. The Catholic “Healing Pools” in Lourdes are closed as a precaution against coronavirus. The Vatican opens the archives of Holocaust-era Pope Pius XII known as “Hitler’s Pope”. If you own a new Rolls Royce you can have a private mass with the Cuddly One for only $155,000.

This weeks’ Woo: Faux News and the spread of conspiracy theories.

Climate Crisis: A Trump official embeds climate denial into scientific research.

Today is International Women’s Day. In many countries’ women will not be able to celebrate it.

One way to improve your debating skills is to learn how to spot the fallacies in the arguments you find, especially from the more educated Christian apologists. It is worth spending some time at it.

Dinosaur DNA and proteins found in fossils; palaeontologists claim. Can that story really be true?

Is our Universe shaped like a sphere? What are the Possible Worlds that could exist in it and will humanity ever get to live on any of them by travelling in a Generation Ship? Will the aliens we encounter become our allies if it turns out we are all made from the same proteins? Meanwhile let’s keep looking for them.

Orthodoxy whether of the right or of the left is the graveyard of creativity, especially in Academia.

Do we learn from the lesson or from the teacher?

Various speakers on the subject of Morality.

Long Read: The End of Miss America.

This week I am reading this book: You Say You Want a Revolution?

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video: Andy Thomson – Why we believe in gods. TedTalk: Neural pathways and mental health. The philosophy of Stoicism. Richard Dawkins on CNN last week. NASA’s Apollo 13, around the Moon in 4K. Marta Robles plays guitar.

Have a great week everyone!

I have endeavored to dissipate these religious superstitions from the minds of women, and base their faith on science and reason, where I found for myself at last that peace and comfort I could never find in the Bible and the church….The less they believe, the better for their own happiness and development…

The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women’s emancipation.

– Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I’m surprised that there is apparently so much anti-atheist prejudice at Harvard.  But then, the US is different from the UK.  Here, the situation is reversed.  The popular image of religious people is of repressed hypocritical kill-joys.

Vermeule’s attack on atheists also implies that religious individuals can be trusted to uphold oaths. But if that is so, one must wonder how he can explain the ease with which Republican members of the United States House of Representatives and Senate ignored their oaths during the impeachment proceedings? The GOP is the party of religion. Republican officeholders typically wear their religious affiliations on their sleeves. Yet, instead of upholding the Constitution and judging President Donald Trump’s culpability objectively, as their oaths required, they frustrated the investigation, rigged the process in his favor, and ignored the evidence entirely. When push came to shove, their religious beliefs gave them no moral courage. The only exception was Senator Mitt Romney, who was pummeled by Trump and Fox News for allowing his religious convictions to influence his vote.

That’s so true.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!  The pesky US clocks went forward last night so here I am at 10am feeling 9amish and ready for education!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Orthodoxy whether of the right or of the left is the graveyard of creativity, especially in Academia.

It sounds like that professor is better off out of that insane shit hole.  But it’s a frightening development, when his employers are so afraid of the hysterical mob of Salem Witch Trial people that they cave in to their every whim.  You can see why Jordan Peterson gets so upset about it all.

@stregaThe pesky US clocks went forward last night so here I am at 10am feeling 9amish

You are some woman for one woman if you can handle 9 Amish that early on a Sunday morning !! 🙂 Do they bring their own sandwiches?

@simon – Re the anti-atheist prejudice in Academia.

I have heard of it before and happening in the more “hallowed halls” of long established Universities. Just over 100 years ago almost all of them were religiously controlled and the hierarchy decided what could be thought. If you did not agree you were a heretic and had no chance of getting (or keeping) a post.

It is just that the Church has no admitted collective memory of its intellectual vulgarity over all those centuries.

Once the Social Media and Media Studies student brigade sink their teeth into someone, they will be de-platformed. They care about “likes” rather than free speech. They think sharing a opinion is activism. Their revolution will not be televised.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

There was a very interesting programme on the general subject on BBC Radio 4 recently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000d70h

“The Purity Spiral”

Journalist Gavin Haynes heads into the eye of two seemingly unlikely moral storms. He discovers bitter rows over diversity and racism within the world of Young Adult literature and Instagram knitting.

_Robert_
    Participant

@stregaThe pesky US clocks went forward last night so here I am at 10am feeling 9amish You are some woman for one woman if you can handle 9 Amish that early on a Sunday morning !! 🙂 Do they bring their own sandwiches?

Since I retired, the appointed time and sometimes the day of the week are of little consequence, except for the occasional dental appointment, music gig or Sunday School. 🙂

Davis
    Participant

Yeah the article on academic freedom is an extremely mixed bag there. On the one hand I couldn’t agree anymore…letting a professor go because of public outcry is a stupid bullshit thing to do. The timing was pretty terrible. Having said that…just about EVERYTHING in that rationalwiki is a fair summary of his work. He skirts white supremacy and highly racist and white-centric research that has been THOROUGHLY discredited as pseudo-science. He should have been let go because his extremely contentious research is heavily criticized on a scientific (let alone social) basis and his promises of interesting results (that would justify his research built on potentitally extremely racist foundations) never panned out. He is a useless scholar and helps prop up eugenicists, some of the most toxic academics out there, white supremacists and other very scuzzy people.

It was also published in Quilette…a journal tht has a lot of heavy alt-right activity. Many of their articles have been heavily debunked. A quick glance at the comment section shows it is HEAVILY censored.

Again…point is he was let go after a public outcry (albeit after a fairly vile lecture) but he really should have been let go because he’s an academic not worth shit and certainly not worthy of tenure. You have to prove yourself and able researcher before you get absolute academic freedom.

_Robert_
    Participant

I agree Davis. I took a look at his paper and in my opinion the real motive here is NOT scientific discovery. What kind of science paper would include political BS like this?

Many scholars, it seems, believe that race and IQ is a toxic topic and possibly even dangerous to study. For a long, long time, they have at least tacitly endorsed a regime of silence, a kind of quiet noble lie, and
    have punished those who violated this regime ferociously.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Fuck it.  I don’t do well on IQ tests.  They’re not for everyone, in some ways that are hard to fathom.  I believe that non-white people score the same as white people in every other known personality factor (ref. Jordan Peterson).  So, in my opinion, there is something “non-inclusive” about IQ tests in themselves – they are cultural in a way that is invisible to the WEIRD people (Western, Educated, Industrialised, Rich, Democratic).  The IQ test doesn’t include me very well.

This is in light of my experience that many, if not most, of the brainiest people I know are non-white, and Afro-origin.

Many scholars, it seems, believe that race and IQ is a toxic topic and possibly even dangerous to study. For a long, long time, they have at least tacitly endorsed a regime of silence, a kind of quiet noble lie, and have punished those who violated this regime ferociously.

I wish that people like this professor (apparently) would stop being butt-hurt for long enough to actually think about the issues involved, dispassionately.

I don’t think the Mensa IQ test is culturally biased but it is biased if English is not your first language.  When I lived in London I was friends with a Ghanaian who was an English teacher and who scored 158 to become a member. Entry point is 148.  The only problem was with the nuances of how some words not usually spoken in the general population could be used.  These were subtleties that I had never considered.

Remember the song “You’re so vein vane vain”? When we here hear it we never even consider the other 2 words. OK, not a great example but something like that.

Screening for intelligence is still controversial.  Cultural bias is difficult to remove.  How many of you assumed my Ghanaian friend was male? Did you assume the color of his or her skin? See what I mean?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I have a feeling that the concept we have of intelligence is flawed or incomplete.  I believe that the IQ test is valid, but it only goes so far in measuring human intelligence.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Simon Paynton.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.