Sunday School

Sunday School May 10th 2020

This topic contains 40 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Davis
    Participant

Simon: everything about politics (and all power structures in every single walk of life) is cynical because it is an inherently cynical game. The structures of power, the mechanism of power literally demand a cynical approach to ruling. Even in the most benevolent and well intentioned governments are heavily tainted by it. Did you ever watch that video I posted?

watch it a couple times.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Davis.

Unseen
    Participant

A lot of people don’t understand the nature of the expansion. They think everything is expanding. No. It is only space that’s expanding. It is the space between things that expands, not matter. Hence, your balloon example, Reg.

_Robert_
    Participant

A lot of people don’t understand the nature of the expansion. They think everything is expanding. No. It is only space that’s expanding. It is the space between things that expands, not matter. Hence, your balloon example, Reg.

Most of my friends say they have been physically expanding during isolation, however that has nothing to do with doppler shifts and such.

_Robert_
    Participant

Simon: everything about politics (and all power structures in every single walk of life) is cynical because it is an inherently cynical game. The structures of power, the mechanism of power literally demand a cynical approach to ruling. Even in the most benevolent and well intentioned governments are heavily tainted by it. Did you ever watch that video I posted?

I watched it again. I moved from a project engineer position to a management position, convinced I could make a difference. Modern management has it’s roots in engineering as industries sought to become efficient…aka time-in-motion studies, for one example. I soon found out that effective management is way more about leadership than the mechanics of efficiency. I did my best, but it was exhausting to say the least. It was a learning experience for sure. Made my decision to retire early a very easy one, LOL

Unseen
    Participant

Most of my friends say they have been physically expanding during isolation, however that has nothing to do with doppler shifts and such.

Yeah, I’ve put on 2 or 3. LOL

The Doppler Dumpling Effect, aka Covid-10 or “fattening the curve”.

Some new Lock-down Lingo:

Coronacoaster
    The ups and downs of your mood during the pandemic. You’re loving lockdown one minute but suddenly weepy with anxiety the next. It truly is “an emotional coronacoaster”.

Quarantinis
    Experimental cocktails mixed from whatever random ingredients you have left in the house. The boozy equivalent of a store cupboard supper. Southern Comfort and Ribena quarantini with a glacé cherry garnish, anyone? These are sipped at “locktail hour”, ie. wine o’clock during lockdown, which seems to be creeping earlier with each passing week.

Blue Skype thinking
    A work brainstorming session which takes place over a videoconferencing app. Such meetings might also be termed a “Zoomposium”. Naturally, they are to be avoided if at all possible.

Le Creuset wrist
    It’s the new “avocado hand” – an aching arm after taking one’s best saucepan outside to bang during the weekly ‘Clap For Carers.’ It might be heavy but you’re keen to impress the neighbors with your high-quality kitchenware.

Coronials
    As opposed to millennials, this refers to the future generation of babies conceived or born during coronavirus quarantine. They might also become known as “Generation C” or, more spookily, “Children of the Quorn”.

Merlot Furlough
    Wine consumed in an attempt to relieve the frustration of not working. Also known as “bored-eaux” or “cabernet tedium”.

Coronadose
    An overdose of bad news from consuming too much media during a time of crisis. Can result in a panicdemic.

The elephant in the Zoom
    The glaring issue during a videoconferencing call that nobody feels able to mention. E.g. one participant has dramatically put on weight, suddenly sprouted terrible facial hair or has a worryingly messy house visible in the background.

Quentin Quarantino
    An attention-seeker using their time in lockdown to make amateur films which they’re convinced are funnier and cleverer than they actually are.

Covidiot or Wuhan-ker
    One who ignores public health advice or behaves with reckless disregard for the safety of others can be said to display “covidiocy” or be “covidiotic”. Also called a “lockclown” or even a “Wuhan-ker”.

Goutbreak
    The sudden fear that you’ve consumed so much wine, cheese, home-made cake and Easter chocolate in lockdown that your ankles are swelling up like a medieval king’s.

Antisocial distancing
    Using health precautions as an excuse for snubbing neighbours and generally ignoring people you find irritating.

Coughin’ dodger
    Someone so alarmed by an innocuous splutter or throat-clear that they back away in terror.

Mask-ara
    Extra make-up applied to “make one’s eyes pop” before venturing out in public wearing a face mask.

Covid-10
    The 10lbs in weight that we’re all gaining from comfort-eating and comfort-drinking. Also known as “fattening the curve”.

…and finally, finally: One sentence to sum up 2020, so far: At one point last month, a toilet roll was worth more than a barrel of crude oil!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Is keeping Philosophy simple the key to living a good life?

I like to live simply, because I can’t cope with a complicated life.  But I like luxury too, so I try and buy the best of everything I use (which doesn’t turn out to be too expensive).

I think that arguments are best expressed in terms of simple elements, and even stating the obvious is a valuable thing to do as it sets out terms.

_Robert_
    Participant

The Doppler Dumpling Effect, aka Covid-10 or “fattening the curve”. Some new Lock-down Lingo: ….

LOL.

In order to cut down on food shopping we have leaned to make and bake our own sourdough and to ferment yogurt from powdered milk. I generally have 10 to 20 lbs of dried pulses, lentils, beans and rice on hand for hurricane preparedness, so we have been using those up in new ways and even made some ‘bean milk’, similar to soy milk. Sounds pretty bad, but works well in baking and recipes. Also stepped up our garden and can barely keep up with it’s output. Made our own beeswax candles a few weeks ago. Kinda feel like we have gone back in time a bit, however I enjoy these efforts and helps me avoid social media so I don’t have to witness most of my friends losing their minds into right wingnut conspiracies.

Unseen
    Participant

As for simplifying one’s life as a philosophy, since I’m slowly losing my ability to walk, I’m rethinking my living space to get rid obstructions to a wheelchair. And since I live in a small 1-bedroom apartment, that’s not easy. In fact, I’d probably be better off in an efficiency apartment with the same square footage.

Davis
    Participant

Indeed. I had always thought yeast came from spores of a plant. I had no idea it’s everywhere (air, your hands, even in the flour. So I made a sour dough culture from no yeast but what was in the air, my clean hands and the flour itself. Couldn’t believe how active the yeast became in only one day. How did yours turn out?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Davis.

_Robert_
    Participant

Indeed. I had always thought yeast came from spores of a plant. I had no idea it’s everywhere (air, your hands, even in the flour. So I made a sour dough culture from no yeast but what was in the air, my clean hands and the flour itself. Couldn’t believe how active the yeast became in only one day. How did yours turn out?

Amazing; the art of food preparation. The first attempt came out surprisingly well, thankyou. You know how sourdough bread tugs back a little when you take a bite? And the slightly yeasty tartness to it. We just halved and fed the starter again… tomorrow is Sourdough Pizza Day! We do not have a real pizza oven, however we have this ancient pizza stone that really does the job.

I mostly cook Indian food. Mainly lentils (Dal) and beans (Chana) and veg curries. I can “Crock-pot” it and live on them  for days. I buy the bread though as all my attempts at making even a basic plain roti have been appallingly bad, even after lessons from my sister in law, who is from India.

I think your pizza stone will do a better job than any appliance.

I have gotten fitter since lock down. I have a few 5k routes nearby and a park at the back of my house so I have shed 3lbs and my BMI is 23.7

A local eastern European bakery sells their own sourdough so I am sorted for bread. If I eat bread it is only PBJ’s

@simonI like to live simply, because I can’t cope with a complicated life.

I recently told someone I was going to “de-clutter” my house and she said “But you hardly own anything”?? True, but it still seems more than I need.

To paraphrase Socrates, when someone tells me about a new store  opening, I reply “It will have plenty of things I will never want to possess”.

_Robert_
    Participant

I mostly cook Indian food. Mainly lentils (Dal) and beans (Chana) and veg curries. I can “Crock-pot” it and live on them for days. I buy the bread though as all my attempts at making even a basic plain roti have been appallingly bad, even after lessons from my sister in law, who is from India. I think your pizza stone will do a better job than any appliance. I have gotten fitter since lock down. I have a few 5k routes nearby and a park at the back of my house so I have shed 3lbs and my BMI is 23.7 A local eastern European bakery sells their own sourdough so I am sorted for bread. If I eat bread it is only PBJ’s

Excellent Reg. You know those exercise bands….? I have been doing repetitions to the point of failure…It may take 40 or 50 reps; I got the time. Who needs a gym?

_Robert_
    Participant

As for simplifying one’s life as a philosophy, since I’m slowly losing my ability to walk, I’m rethinking my living space to get rid obstructions to a wheelchair. And since I live in a small 1-bedroom apartment, that’s not easy. In fact, I’d probably be better off in an efficiency apartment with the same square footage.

If I recall correctly it wasn’t all that long ago you had a serious bike accident. Yeah, I really liked my little efficiency on the beach. Good sized main room/bedroom, a tiny galley kitchen and bath, Loved it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.