Sunday School

Sunday School May 10th 2020

This topic contains 40 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

An atheist in Iowa understands it’s not all about Eve.

Obnoxious Christians in Australia are setting fire to sacred Aboriginal objects. George Pell: The cardinal was aware of children being sexually abused.

Catholics have been taking bits of Jesus home in plastic bags to eat in their own time but at least they have all stopped drinking alcohol together from the same poisoned chalice. I just hope the plastic is recycled.

Poll: The ‘Trump bump’ is over, especially among white Christians. Their case for Trump is a thin reed. America needs more atheists in public office.

If Disney TV has not enough fantasy for you then try a free trial of Answers TV with the further adventures of Cubitman and his sidekick Bananaman.

Imaginary God is testing Christians to exhaust His power.

Betsy DeVos expands dangerous exemptions for religious colleges and universities.

It’s not easy for ex-theists to get rid of the indoctrination suffered during their formative years.

The birth of Christianity and its influence on the Roman empire.

Corona Crisis: Human rights, global solidarity, and critical thinking have never been needed more.

This weeks’ Woo: There is a funny side to the spread of fake cures.

Climate Crisis: How it contributes to increasing rates of infectious disease.

Anti-vaccination sentiment is becoming contagious. Why does the rubber duck in my Clorox bath keep quacking at me?

The dangers of digging holes as traps.

Is keeping Philosophy simple the key to living a good life?

Science fails when it is not progressive.

How could the Big Bang be the birth of our Universe? What will the end of the Universe look like?

What did Humans evolve from?

The importance of The Geography of the Heavens.  Some of the things we humans have seen.

Long Reads: A very informative and well produced survey on being non-religious in America.  Stop procrastinating and read this now or maybe leave it until later. Diary of a gardener.

The “Introduction” to The Portable Atheist by Hitchens is a great read.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil.…

Coffee Break Video: Seth Andrews: Christianity Made Me Talk Like an Idiot. Sean Carroll: Quantum Mechanics.

Have a great week everyone!

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

_Robert_
    Participant

The Portable Atheist is a great read, especially the intro. It gives insight into how little has actually changed historically with respect to non belief and the reasoning behind it.

Unseen
    Participant

Poll: The ‘Trump bump’ is over, especially among white Christians. Their case for Trump is a thin read. America needs more atheists in public office.

I’m thinking you probably meant “a thin reed” not “a thin read”(?)

Thanks Unseen, it should read that way as it is about Mr. Reed.

Davis
    Participant

I’d be mighty mighty cautious when quoting a Quilette story on anything to do with gender, sexuality or sexual abuse. They have published famously sexist, transphobic, homophobic articles and countless articles skeptical of claims of sexual harassment and assault. While the metaphor of the article makes sense (digging holes) and the particular example per the democratic party is ironic…that wasn’t the point of the article. It was written by a known misogynist who has written many articles against the general concept of believing survivors of sexual assault and is in his own words in a campaign against SJW. Yes the democrats dug themselves into a hole and misused sexual abuse in the process (in a very bad way) but the author’s goal is discussing his own doubt about believing victims.

It’s not that he has a conservative bent or a non-politically correct view, it’s just the way he does it (and many Quilette articles) are quite toxic and frequently deceptive or intellectually dishonest.

Quilette is a difficult source, because on the one hand there are some insightful and challenging articles on a variety of topics, but on the other hand in the social sphere they deal in the extreme to the very extreme it is the right side of the political spectrum of quoting radical communists or militant woke justice critics.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Davis.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Davis.

Unseen
    Participant

Corona Crisis: Human rights, global solidarity, and critical thinking have never been needed more.

I expect religious groups to go to court to argue that they have constitutional rights to practice their religion and to assemble.

It will be interesting to see where the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) comes down on the issue. As staunch defenders of constitutional rights, one would expect them to join with the churches.

At the same time, the law does recognize limits on religious practices.

Expect this dispute to crop up pretty soon.

Unseen
    Participant

How could the Big Bang be the birth of our Universe? What will the end of the Universe look like?

I think most cosmologists are placing their bets on The Big Chill (Big Freeze) due to the relatively recent discovery that the expansion of the universe is actually increasing in pace, not slowing down. A contraction appears unlikely based on what we know now.

Dark energy seems to be behind this expansion and the best hope for reversing the expansion may come from dark matter. Dark matter and energy are what most of the universe is made of, it seems, and yet we have no clue what they are. Are they due to so far undetected particles? Is some extra dimension involved? Don’t ask me! LOL

If the universe continues to expand, clusters of matter like galaxies and eventually stars and solar systems will become so far apart that they will be unable to detect each other. So, we may be living in a golden age of knowledge wherein our scientists can observe our surroundings and derive some understanding of the universe. Many billions of years in the future, scientists may believe that what they can see locally is all there is. Sad.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil.…

The thing is, The Babylon Bee is a joke site, so I wouldn’t place too much stock in anything I might read there. Note that the article refers to a report but never identifies or links to it.

@davis – I agree about the Quilette site. They do have some very good articles but you are correct in that many of them sink lower than their headline would suggest. I was not aware of other articles by this author.

I did wonder myself why Tara Reade waited until Joe Biden became the Democratic nominee before speaking out. I absolutely believe she has a valid case but why not mention it when he ran in 2008? Maybe it did need the #metoo movement for her to come forward but again why not when he launched his campaign or even before Super Tuesday?

Have I just dug a hole? Nay, I am just digging for fire. (Song).

@ Unseen The thing is, The Babylon Bee is a joke site….

Indeed, it is mostly about Christians 🙂

Yes, not only is the Universe expanding, the rate of this expansion is accelerating. The galaxies are speeding away from each other and at some future point they will not “see” each other. I think the best way of imagining it is that of the balloon analogy.  Before you inflate a large balloon, get a sharpie pen and point random dots on it. As it inflates the spots seem to move away from each other. At some point no spot would be visible to anyone standing on one. It is not that the spots or galaxies are somehow repelling each other but that the space between them is increasing. This reduces the effect that gravity has on nearby massive objects. Or more correctly put, the curvature of spacetime is continually being flatten out. Even our Moon is moving away from us (about 4cm each year).

If you are standing on one spot then the 3rd spot from you would be moving away faster than the second one. This is down to Dark Matter which we know very little about (yet). It could be that Dark Energy is increasing. Thanks Hubble. It will most likely end in a “heat death”.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The dangers of digging holes as traps.

I find the last sentence of this article unbelievably cynical.  Maybe politics is unbelievably cynical.  Maybe Konstantin Kisin is unbelievably cynical.

The throwing of stones by the inhabitants of glass dwellings is not a good long-term strategy and since we all have a glass pane or two in our houses perhaps we ought to consider putting our rocks down every now and then.

It would be better to remove the glass panes from everyone’s houses.

I guess it’s also a cynical move to weaponise rape allegations.

I am sure the ACLU is going to have a busy time ahead. The privileged will be banging on about their rights being trampled upon. So many people seem to consider “freedom” to be something that comes with no responsibility towards others.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.