Sunday School

Sunday School November 12th 2017

This topic contains 28 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 6 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

The quote by Ned Flanders, “Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends! Well I say there are some things we don’t want to know! Important things!” is because it is Science Week here in Ireland.

All Irish children are going to be indoctrinated into the godless world of scientific thinking. They are being taught the so called “truth” about reality in a sly way that teachers call “learning with fun”. Liberal media celebrities are being used to give credence to the hundreds of science shows and tutorials that are being held in practically every corner of the country.

Some religious people like me have been trying to warn parents about the dangers of exposing young minds to revolutionary ideas about how the Universe works without god being involved. I have tried to warn them but all they do is use sign language to tell me they think I am still number one and refuse to engage any further with me.

Do they not understand what will happen to the country if an entire generation grows up without hearing about all the important holy stuff? Imagine what it will be like to live in a country that elevates the intellectual endeavors of men and women above the eternal needs of the soul.

And now I hear the public are demanding more events be held!! They want to make this nationwide liberal indoctrination an annual event and even the government is helping to spread the message. I heard one of them call it a “festival” when the real festival is only 6 weeks away!! Join me in praying it all goes away.

Strega

He’s organizing prayers that it all goes away?  Too funny

Belle Rose
    Participant

Reg that’s a great idea I didn’t even think of! Hahahaha!!!

@gary – I have no real problem with Christmas. I have basically ignored it for the last 40 years. I find it all very amusing. I do enjoy the time off work and meeting family or old friends home for the week but I have no “sense” of it being a festive occasion. My whole life is lived with a sense of hedonism to it so maybe that is why. I don’t even believe Christians care that much about the  Jesus part of it. By the time the day arrives they are too worn out from the 6 week build up to it. Now, where are my humbugs gone?

Belle Rose
    Participant

Lol! The flat earth conference? For real???  What would you talk about at that? Would anyone show up? Seriously!?????

Simon Paynton
    Participant

To improve our sense of morality we should not cling to any primitive ideas about it.

– I agree that the Trolley Problem is a waste of time and doesn’t tell us anything much at all.  I suppose it’s interesting because it’s a dilemma.

All systems need to have compassion and empathy if they are to be of value to us.

– it is interesting to see how he characterises the different kinds of empathy: cognitive [knowledge], emotional [resonance], and empathic concern/helping in response to need.  It’s not a surprise that it’s the more intelligent animals that have the highest cognitive empathy.  Magpies are experts at this because they are thieves and need to be able to deceive others.

I think the difference is not so much in what kind is used, but rather, what it’s used for.  It’s used any time one creature wants to know what is going on inside another creature, which means either: 1) compassionate social purposes; 2) strategic self-serving purposes.  Of course, with clever cruel humans, it can also be for the purpose of how to fuck someone up.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Why do we engage in acts of kindness?

– the article is correct (as I believe) to say that everyone loves a good cooperator, and this is a fundamental part of “obligate cooperation”, which means it is something that is not present in other species.

Real-life evidence suggests that people are more inclined to help strangers if they were previously observed to act kindly themselves. Consequently, everyone is motivated to cultivate a reputation for kindness through generous behaviour that others will know about. Such a reputation is likely to elicit kindness from others and may therefore yield long-term benefits.

According to Penny Spikins in “How Compassion Made Us Human – the evolutionary origins of tenderness, trust and morality”, in which she examines the human archaeological record for signs of social behaviour – this dynamic of needing to prove oneself a compassionate person is likely to have been a factor in the normal human habit, in small groups, of taking care of the weak and disabled.  What’s more, this could have been an evolutionary pressure on human psychology.

As she points out, this behaviour goes along with a culture of valuing all members of the group, and this culture is clearly in everyone’s interests.

As she also points out, this culture should grow more intense as the environmental conditions become more difficult (such as during the Ice Age).  Her hypothesis is that an expression of this culture is to take great care and skill in making small objects like sculptures, since, this proves that a person takes compassionate care of physical things.

Strega

Re the flat earth conference, what do they think the equator is?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

the Trolley Problem

– there is an article in the Independent newspaper in the UK, about using the trolley problem to diagnose psychopaths.

“A runaway trolley is about to run over and kill five people and you are standing on a footbridge next to a large stranger; your body is too light to stop the train, but if you push the stranger onto the tracks, killing him, you will save the five people.

“Would you push the man?”

A utilitarian would say it makes sense to push the man because fewer lives will be lost.

The study, published in the journal Cognition, found that people who answered in this way had higher scores on measures of psychopathy, Machiavellianism and life meaninglessness compared to those who said no to pushing the innocent man.

“These methods fail to distinguish between people who endorse utilitarian moral choices because of underlying emotional deficits (like those captured by our measures of psychopathy and Machiavellianism) and those who endorse them out of genuine concern for the welfare of others.”

At most, the trolley problem is testing for one psychopathic trait: a lack of empathy and fellow human feeling.  But the ability to turn on one psychopathic trait does not necessarily make someone more of a psychopath.

Ah Strega, even scientists who believe in the absurdity of the Earth being round know that the Equator is just an imaginary line.  You should come to our conference to hear the real truths that they are hiding from you. It will be money well spent.

Belle – of course they will show up to the conference. They are known for not hanging around.

Strega

If people can be ‘certain’ the earth is flat despite the mountain of evidence (yes Reg I slipped a quip in there just for you) then it stands to reason there is no extreme as to what people will believe. Consequently, if it could be proven there is no deity, that would still not matter to the devout.  Or the Scientologists

Most probably, DNA isn’t interested in what we think.  We only have brains and ideas to keep us occupied whilst the DNA continues to replicate and mutate. Like Replicators out of the Star Trek spin-offs, DNA goes marching on, unstoppable. All the rest is just fluff to keep us busy 🙂

Simon Paynton
    Participant

DNA isn’t interested in what we think.

– I think that for reasons to do with evolution, we are propelled towards well being, and also, feeling good, since to the organism, the two are indistinguishable.  So, a lot of the reason why people believe strange things is probably because it makes them feel good, stops them feeling bad, or makes them feel like it saves their skins.

People will and do believe all sorts of absurd ideas because they have poor critical thinking skills. They are unable to think freely about different ideas or concepts. Add in scientific illiteracy and they are unlikely to criticize any beliefs they hold. It is like theists that think they understand what atheism is but they really just don’t get it. It is almost impossible to get through to them.  One can only “get” atheism by being an atheist and that means challenging their own beliefs.They lack the courage or the skills to do so. They can only reason themselves out of their own delusions.

This is how many of them think.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.