Sunday School

Sunday School November 26th 2017

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

As an atheist I find Scientology no weirder than any other religion. Some religions don’t even understand how cruel they are towards defenseless animals!!

Imagine living in a country where the government had a Minister for Thought Control or one where flooding was the result of the Prime Minister being an atheist?

Flippin’ Heck! What is a Sitz im Leben??

The dumb “I don’t have enough faith to be an atheist” argument.

In Wales, the Cardiff Devils have announced a new partnership with LGBT Sport.

Paula White leads Trump’s heart to the Lord, and that’s all Trump wants. The Evangelicals don’t realize that they will be the ones to bring about the death of Christianity.

This weeks’ Woo: Water Divining.

Climate Change: Embracing natural solutions to help fix the problem.

Blasphemy, 38 years after the Life of Brian.

Why do I think the best physicists must also be good philosophers? Would any physicist ever consider scientific proof to be a myth? Would any philosopher ever consider Ideology to be the original Augmented Reality and from there imagine that consciousness is not what drives the human mind?

Researchers in the Galapagos have observed the speciation of finches, something that creationists’ claim has never been recorded. They still prefer the debunked “Watchmaker Analogy”. Hmmm, but how do we know that the Earth is more than 10,000 years old?

The Earth and Sun will eventually burn out and fade away but Rock and Roll can never die.

In conversation with the man who helped prove Einstein correct.

Inside the Church of Artificial Intelligence.

Today’s weather will be breezy with a chance of butterflies.

My forgiveness … has nothing to do with the perpetrator, has nothing to do with any religion, it is my act of self-healing, self-liberation, and self-empowerment.

“There was no one to bury those people. All of us just began to run,” she says.

Compassionate Systems with Daniel Goleman.

In case you are easily triggered this article is about the creep of Critical Theory.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..And a bit of satire too.

Coffee Break Video:  The secrets of Quantum Physics. What are you thankful for?

Have a great week everyone!!

Isn’t it rather rude that people bombard God with prayer on Sunday? His day off…

George Carlin.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Belle Rose
    Participant

Hahahaha thank you Reg! HappyThanksgivingMerryChrismas lol

_Robert_
    Participant

South Sudan….US employs it’s typical oversimplification, supports the formation of a new nation; and then is somehow surprised when it devolves into war and tribal chaos. OK who’s next?

South Sudan, the world’s newest country has vast oil reserves and had the potential to be a success when it was formed. So what is all the fighting about?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

the creep of Critical Theory

– here’s an interesting conversation I’ve been having on Facebook, which seems relevant.  It’s still ongoing (I hope).  I’m not sure how accessible it is Facebook wise.  If it’s tl:dr then you can cut to the end of that particular conversational thread.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The paper on the link between forgiving, forgivingness (being a forgiving person in general) and the effects of stress on mental health is interesting.  The research shows that

personally cultivating this emotion-focused coping style may offer health benefits independent of the life stressors that an individual might face.

Forgiveness is shown to benefit both physical and mental health, but the researchers aren’t sure why.

It does seem like the subject is very far from being settled.   I think that forgiveness is fundamentally linked with justice.  The normal procedure is that we can forgive somebody if they at least: 1) recognise their wrong doing; 2) demonstrate that they are going to change their behaviour.  Even saying “sorry” is not strictly necessary.  These two steps constitute a form of justice.  If this is not forthcoming, then justice has to be found by other means, otherwise we will remain sore.  Even just preventing that person from doing it again is satisfactory.

It is hard to put all the various situations into a single framework.  There are a number of other factors involved: for example, how quick someone is to take offence; or the intention behind the wrongdoing (intentional spite versus material gain, for example).

For the lady who found peace through forgiving her experiences in the Holocaust, that is another category.  I think that may be more like forgiving an earthquake or a helicopter crash – some kind of natural disaster.

Asking people to forgive everything, no matter what, is just inappropriate, and ignores the legitimate needs of the victim.

Presumably the researchers have found that some people hold onto grudges when they don’t need to, and this is unhealthy.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I think that somehow the situation has to be made good, and if it can’t be made good, then the victim has to decide whether to put it behind them and move on (after all, if they don’t it is only going to impact themselves).

However, there is still a distinction between forgiving and moving on: we can move on without forgiving.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.