Sunday School

Sunday School October 28th 2018

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Kristina 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Today let’s start with some exercise and the good news that Atheist Ireland is very happy to welcome the removal of the medieval crime of blasphemy.

Since fleeing the Religion of Peace, Rana Ahmad has started to dream again.

Could the Ark in the Park be about to sink? Maybe Ken Ham should have invested in some Dead Sea Scrolls instead?

Do you think this atheist really understands what the terms faith and belief mean?

The New Humanist has now digitized its archive from 1884. There are some good free articles within the post.

Dan Barker, who belongs to the group “We the People” may yet get to deliver a secular invocation on the House floor.

An illegal Islamic indoctrination school for children in London is fined while K-12 students in Arizona are not going to be indoctrinated for much longer.

Here is why people rage about religion on Facebook.

As an atheist do you find any of these questions insulting? Oh, I feel triggered.

The Justice Department says Transgender bias is not sex discrimination.

This weeks’ Woo: Crowdfunded Quackery.

Climate Change: The sponges will survive!!

There is nothing better than controlled hallucinations to make me think and I would share the experience with my duplicate brain.

Could DNA sequencing be leading to social biases and inequalities?

The Standard Model doesn’t yet like those pesky Neutrinos no matter their flavor.

Does Time move in a repeating loop or a straight line?

This week I am reading this book: Brief Answers to Big Questions, by Stephen Hawking.

Some photographs taken last week.

We pause to remember: Matthew Shepard.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  Will we ever find Alien Life. Cornell University, Godless citizens in a Godly Republic, a history of American atheism. TedTalk, What a planet needs to sustain life.

Have a great week everyone!! Enjoy your Trick or Treat evening.

Reason is non-negotiable. Try to argue against it, or to exclude it from some realm of knowledge, and you’ve already lost the argument, because you’re using reason to make your case. And no, this isn’t having “faith” in reason (in the same way that some people have faith in miracles), because we don’t “believe” in reason; we use reason.

Steven Pinker.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Cheers Strega, The last question from the first article on “exercise” is great.

Strega

“Follow JC Go!”, a Christian take on the game, lets players “catch” saints or Bible characters, instead of the little Japanese monsters.”

No shit!  Laughed out loud

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@regthefronkeyfarmer – congratulations on helping to get the Irish blasphemy law overturned.

Thanks Simon. While I have helped a little in explaining why the law needed to be changed, the vast majority of the credit goes to Atheist Ireland. I have been more involved in helping those fleeing persecution or helping the recovery of ex-cult members, sometimes helping to relocate them. I have a tattoo “I am Raif Badawi” on my arm (“Je suis Charlie Hebdo”) to symbolize all those imprisoned for blasphemy around the world.

I have also spent 5 years trying my best to get arrested for blasphemy 🙂

Kristina
    Participant

True. Incorporating discrimination protections for trans* people under ‘sex’ may be expedient, but it’s not ideal in part for this reason. Hopefully there will be a push some day (under the right administration) to have protections for gender identity/ expression, and — if the article is correct — sexual orientation at the federal level and in every state.

Kristina
    Participant

I have also spent 5 years trying my best to get arrested for blasphemy 🙂

We’re in the midst of repealing ‘blasphemous libel’ in Canada. I don’t know if that law has ever been enforced. Hopefully not within the last century.

Bill C-51 removes some outdated, and in some cases unconstitutional provisions such as the afore mentioned blasphemous libel, challenging someone to a duel, fraudulently pretending to practice witchcraft and a few others*.

*Yeah, for reals.

_Robert_
    Participant

True. Incorporating discrimination protections for trans* people under ‘sex’ may be expedient, but it’s not ideal in part for this reason. Hopefully there will be a push some day (under the right administration) to have protections for gender identity/ expression, and — if the article is correct — sexual orientation at the federal level and in every state.

If a 64 year old man wants to falsely “identify” as a 13 year old Japanese school girl that’ s fine. Just don’t expect me to acknowledge it or pretend it is true. Are millennials really so far gone that the truth is subservient to people’s feelings? This is the sort of bullshit that drove the middle to the right. This happened at the very worse time possible. There will be very difficult decades ahead indeed as the earth begins the exponential environmental shift; gender identity will be forgotten as billions begin to starve.

Kristina
    Participant

If a 64 year old man wants to falsely “identify” as a 13 year old Japanese school girl that’ s fine. Just don’t expect me to acknowledge it or pretend it is true. Are millennials really so far gone that the truth is subservient to people’s feelings? This is the sort of bullshit that drove the middle to the right. This happened at the very worse time possible. There will be very difficult decades ahead indeed as the earth begins the exponential environmental shift; gender identity will be forgotten as billions begin to starve.

I can’t really tell if you are joking, or if that was intended to be an actual reply.

Identifying as thirteen, Japanese and being in school have nothing to do with gender identity.

“Environmental shift” and billions starving have nothing to do with non-discrimination. They aren’t in competition or conflict in any way. I suppose in the ‘billions begin to starve’ state of affairs, many human rights will be forgotten as that’s a pretty extreme state. Seeing as we aren’t quite there yet, maybe we shouldn’t live like it’s Mad Max. Too soon for the Thunderdome.

The middle being driven to the right over gender identity would merely mean the middle is extremely irrational as they are prioritizing issues of minimal impact over much more significant policy points. In that case, there are probably much more serious concerns with the middle than their perception of gender identity issues.

While a gender dysphoria diagnosis does rely on self-reported symptoms, this isn’t the same as being ‘subservient to people’s feelings’. The shift of major organizations like the American Psychiatric Association or the World Health Organization toward accepting the legitimacy of transgender identities didn’t stem from ‘Well, some dude had this feeling, so I guess this trans stuff is cool, ’cause, like, millennials and shit.’

_Robert_
    Participant

Great Idea ! Lets focus on 0.6% of the population when there is so much at stake?

Of all species that have existed on Earth, 99.9 percent are now extinct. Many of them perished in five cataclysmic events. According to a recent poll, seven out of ten biologists think we are currently in the throes of a sixth mass extinction.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/extinction/massext/statement_03.html

My fellow democrats basically have zero strategy. I was talking to some very “passionate” millennials about the upcoming election. I asked them if they could tell me where the polling location is for our area. Three of the four had no idea. They have never voted. But they are passionate about ending cruel greyhound racing and transgender issues. Meanwhile there is a fish kill in my local waters right now. The beaches are littered with thousands of dead fish caused by algae blooms from the warming polluted waters. Not one politician will ever mention overpopulation.

Madmax….? Not really. Rising waters and floods, severe weather, crop failures, power outages, increases in tropical diseases and environmentally caused cancers, revolution. The poor will suffer more. Human population follows food and energy production to a tee. Disrupt either and the consequences are dire. So yeah…let’s focus on what again?

Kristina
    Participant

Great Idea ! Lets focus on 0.6% of the population when there is so much at stake?

Again, there is nothing mutually exclusive in the slightest between ensuring the trans and non-binary individuals are afforded the same human rights protections as everyone else, and passionately advocating for trying to unfuck our environmental impact as much as is still possible. The percentage of people who are trans and non-binary isn’t really important — it’s a question of principles.

Which is why I find your responses to me odd. Instead of addressing the issue at hand, you’re using diversionary tactics. And bizarrely, you’re using them unevenly. I also commented on blasphemy regulation which is archaic and likely unenforceable, yet for some reason that doesn’t get the same treatment. You didn’t chime in with an absurd characterization of blasphemers, a nonsensical point about millennials, an untenable point on elections, and then sideline the topic with ‘but the environment is more important!”

So why one topic and not the other? Or are you honestly so silly as to believe that support for transgender rights cost the Democrats the election? That your interaction with four (0ut of tens of millions) of American millennials is indicative of anything, and isn’t merely an anecdote evidencing pretty much nothing?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Kristina.

_Robert_
    Participant

As an American living in the Southern US, I am way more aware of the simplistic views held by so many. And way more aware of the negative impact created when far leftist ideals are used by the savvy right to scare voters away. So here we are today with Trump reversing every gain made by Obama and beautiful Venice underwater. So you folks in liberal Canada and Europe do not live the day to day frustrations or feel the ridiculous fear about everything except anything that matters. I am not surprised you can’t connect the dots. That is why we are where we are at.

Oh, just look up the voting record by age last few years..nothing  anecdotal about it. In one human lifetime the earth will not be so kind to us.

_Robert_
    Participant

I would also add that I greatly admire Canada and liberal Europe. The concern however is with those who have real power. The ones with the money. I think Bill Gates is on point, for example. They will decide the future for all. Democracy is a beautiful idea, but the 1% still have the real power. They super rich need to do the right things.. People are generally sell-outs. Including the 60’s hippies. The super wealthy Chinese investors, the energy concerns. How do we sway them? How do we attain a peaceful, green and blue planet with renewable energy and decisions made by rational people?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.