Sunday School

Sunday School August 18th 2019

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Just like political parties, religious groups see their rivals as extremists.

Mike Huckabee ties mass shootings to an absence of faith in God. The Christian one I assume.

Schools in Louisiana are taking Project Blitz to heart. American Atheists are on the case. Allowing businesses to discriminate against other citizens is also part of this Christian project.

A look at “The Family” on Netflix. But make sure to Hail Satan too.

The artist Shura on religion.

French Catholics increasingly asking to be de-baptised. There is some excellent news from Spain too.

Former Jehovah’s Witnesses recount years of sex abuse ahead of landmark case.

Sometimes I think I have found an intelligent article by a theologian but hear the word “Oh FFS” sound in my brain by the end of the first sentence. Will I never learn!

This weeks Woo: The claims of fad diets give me a headache.

Climate Crisis: 97 percent climate consensus still faces denial.

Secular Humanism should be contrasted with organized religion, not atheism.

Why religious people cling to beliefs even when contradicted by evidence.

There could be 10 billion Earth-like planets in the Milky Way and how our pale blue dot might look to aliens. There are plenty of interesting structures to discover.

Why did witch hunts go viral?

The Bayesian brain hypothesis and our internal picture of an external world. What if we evolved to experience a collective delusion — not objective reality.

The deadly boredom of a meaningless life.

Long Read: In his own words: Ex-Cardinal’s letters to abuse victims.

This week I am reading this book: The Ministry of Truth.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  The Royal Institution: What made our Universe? Bill Maher on Ted Cruz just because it’s bad!! Working in Heaven’s Thoughts and Prayers Dept, there’s an app for that.

Have a great week everyone!

“Scientists do not join hands every Sunday and sing “Yes gravity is real! I know gravity is real! I will have faith! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!” If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about the concept.”

Dan Barker.

“If there is a God, atheism must seem to Him as less of an insult than religion”.

Edmond de Goncourt

_Robert_
    Participant

re Why religious people cling to beliefs even when contradicted by evidence.

….the religious dogmatist’s mind appears to be dominated by empathy, while the atheist’s is ruled by the analytic network

I have always been very analytical and a career as an engineer reinforces that. Empathizing with a victim does little to solve the situation that made them a victim. I tend to skip over right to the problem solving and people have expressed that they view me as a cold fish. For instance I avoid funerals even when friends have died. The dead don’t care and I really do not want to fake head nod as some moronic  preacher goes on and on about Jesus’s welcoming arms and the gates of heaven. I will attend a celebration of life as they are good therapy compared to a funeral. Another example is pets. Millions of pets especially cats are murdered each year because pet owners don’t have the brains to research breeds. Am I to empathize with all the sad pet lovers as they watch abused animals on TV commercials. Many of them are the problem. So much empathy is fake anyways. Thoughts and prayers, thoughts and prayers.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!!

For instance I avoid funerals even when friends have died.

Mostly I do too. I will usually spend time with them a few weeks later when everyone else has more or less “forgotten” about them. It is often when it means the most to them because  there is too much to take in at the time of the funeral. Sometimes nobody will call to ask them how they are feeling because they think it will be upsetting. If I can I take them out of the house and go for a walk or a coffee and spend a few hours talking about whatever they want to talk about.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The deadly boredom of a meaningless life.

This is a very interesting article that is related to our discussion on spirituality.

🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.