Sunday School

Sunday School December 4th 2022

This topic contains 41 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Belle Rose 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Belle Rose
    Participant

@autumn

Most people can get most of the micro nutrients they need without calculating daily values.

And you know this how? The truth is most people don’t get the micro nutrients they need. That’s why they over eat and constantly feel like they’re hungry when their body really does not need any more calories.

Belle Rose
    Participant

The vast majority of Americans have no earthly idea what true hunger actually feels like…

Autumn
    Participant

There are many necessary things from the body positive movement. It is a problem if the message downplays elevated health risks associated with obesity; however, a large part of the body positive movement exists to counteract harmful narratives. There is no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Belle Rose
    Participant

@autumn

There are many necessary things from the body positive movement. It is a problem if the message downplays elevated health risks associated with obesity; however, a large part of the body positive movement exists to counteract harmful narratives. There is no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I disagree. I think by not telling people the whole and honest to God truth, they don’t fully understand what’s happening to their body and they are not able to live their best lives. It’s not really that different than religion. If you think about what we do to people who have religious beliefs, and we placate their emotions, it is just as harmful, it just harms them in a different way… But it’s still lying to people. I have become a fan of cold hard truths 😂 It’s like “fuck your feelings,” Like the Amanda Perez song lol, no just kidding

Autumn
    Participant

@autumn

Most people can get most of the micro nutrients they need without calculating daily values.

And you know this how? The truth is most people don’t get the micro nutrients they need. That’s why they over eat and constantly feel like they’re hungry when their body really does not need any more calories.

Because most of the micronutrients we need are only needed in very small quantities and are readily present in available form commonly eaten foods with some exceptions or certain diet types.

There are lots of reasons people overeat. Stress, boredom, lack of satiety, overcompensating bio-regulatory mechanisms, and over availability/ ready accessibility of caloric dense foods, foods like those with added sugars can increase levels hunger-promoting hormones like ghrelin and other reasons, I’m sure.

jakelafort
    Participant

Social media hate speech causes violence?

Well so what as long as cherished blah blah blah is preserved and mindless customs are sacrosanct.

Autumn
    Participant

I disagree. I think by not telling people the whole and honest to God truth, they don’t fully understand what’s happening to their body and they are not able to live their best lives.

That’s not a disagreement. I’m not advocating downplaying potential health impacts of obesity. Far fewer people are doing this than you might believe.

Body positivity is largely an antithesis to the ridicule and degradation directed at people who are overweight and obese. Even if obesity is associated with elevated health risks, it’s not a reason a person should feel shame, anxiety, self-hatred, hideousness, or stress—negative states of mind that are often counterproductive to getting healthy. One’s worth shouldn’t be defined by their weight (unless maybe they’re a sumo wrestler or something).

Furthermore, body positivity does raise certain awareness around false beliefs surrounding weight and health as well. Numbers on the scale aren’t the only thing that matters. There are people who appear average who have an unhealthy amount of body fat as well as those who may be a considered overweight by bmi or appearance who are quite healthy. Health is a much broader (no pun) picture than weight. Weight is relevant, but oversimplification isn’t good.

Belle Rose
    Participant

@autumn

Because most of the micronutrients we need are only needed in very small quantities and are readily present in available form commonly eaten foods with some exceptions or certain diet types.

this is also wrong autumn sorry, more lies and myths that have been circled in population for far too long. The truth is that if you have eaten a diet that is high in micro nutrients, you will not over eat. Period. It is physically impossible to eat more calories than your body needs when you have met adequate micro nutrient consumption. The vast majority of Americans do not eat this way. At all. Not even close. And most people who are obese do not sit on the couch and eat ice cream all night. That is also a huge myth. Want to talk about stereotypes? It is unfortunate because those types of lies or what perpetuate the perceived need for the body positive movement. It is as if people have come to believe that trying to be more body positive means that you are loving people in all shapes and sizes, instead of what I believe we really should be doing, which is educating the public on these truths that fly in the face of everything big Pharma wants you to believe. They want you to believe that you need more medication. And unfortunately, their sales pitch has worked.

Autumn
    Participant

this is also wrong autumn sorry, more lies and myths that have been circled in population for far too long. The truth is that if you have eaten a diet that is high in micro nutrients, you will not over eat. Period. It is physically impossible to eat more calories than your body needs when you have met adequate micro nutrient consumption.

Source.

jakelafort
    Participant

I know of Doc F. diet. Have seen it work well short term. I do recall reading some long critique of it and it casting some doubt on the efficacy long term or was it the healthfulness?

I went from being a fit reasonably athletic kid to a twenty lbs overweight sendentary attorney. When i quit law i started a walking regimen. Just three miles out the door every day. Gradually improve time to complete little course. Then i got into hiking. Realized that the flat walking wasn’t much of anything. Learned to love hills/mountains taking them all out. Through late 40s and 50s got fitter and fitter. Resting heart rate in morning in 40s.I doubt the average 20 yr old american could stay with me. Very tough go but the payoff in feeling like gold hours after well worth the pain. Also great for mental clarity. It is kind of a drug for me. Go a few days without getting outside and feel like shite.

So even if you are starting a serious regimen later in life it is quite amazing what can be accomplished.

Anyone disagree with Bill Maher here?

Autumn
    Participant

Through late 40s and 50s got fitter and fitter. Resting heart rate in morning in 40s.I doubt the average 20 yr old american could stay with me. Very tough go but the payoff in feeling like gold hours after well worth the pain. Also great for mental clarity. It is kind of a drug for me. Go a few days without getting outside and feel like shite.

Hiking used to be a family vacation and weekend mainstay when I was young. Unfortunately, for the trails around where I live now, I need 4wD to get to most of the trail heads. Occasionally I’ll go for a short hike with my mom, but neither of us are in great hiking shape right now.

When I was just entering middle school, we drove out to California and back from Ontario. I can’t remember all of the trails we hit, but Lassen Peak, Angel’s Landing in Zion, a river canon hike in Zion, Half Dome, and least one hike in Bryce Canyon, random wandering in Joshua Tree. I feel like those were the most scenic hikes I can remember, though we’ve done plenty of others in other parts of the continent (and a little in Europe).

I also had a chance to do some light hiking in Galapagos as an adult, but those were tiny, flat trails mostly. Still a highlight for me. That same trip I hiked up a glacier on Cotopaxi volcano. I was already struggling with the elevation in Bogota, then Quito. For such a short hike, I was dying. So out of shape and so acclimated to sea level.

It is kind of a drug for me. Go a few days without getting outside and feel like shite.

I concur. On Jan 1st 2018 I decided to walk 20,000,000 steps in 2,000 days. I am ahead of target and only need to average 8,500 steps to hit it. (by end June next year). Even when I cycle to the gym and then run on the dreadmill, I still need a walk outdoors later, no matter the weather.

The Dutch have a word for it; Uitwaaein = “outblowing” to take in the fresh “windy” air to de-stress. Pronounced ‘out-vie-in’. More.

I don’t worry about micro nutrients. Trace amounts are all that is required. Eating fruit and veg will cover all of that.

However people with high blood pressure and a genetic predisposition for high cholesterol should attend primary health care and get checked out. Then follow the instructions.

Autumn
    Participant

Anyone disagree with Bill Maher here? <iframe title=”New Rule: Fat Acceptance | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/yfiWjnStE3w?feature=oembed” width=”670″ height=”377″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

Yes.

What we did historically wasn’t a measured approach to addressing obesity. We moralized weight and wrote people off as lazy or undisciplined if their weight climbed. We oversimplified why this was happening. We did this while constructing a society geared toward obesity yet also disparaging and demoralizing those who became obese. That’s not likely a useful approach to addressing obesity (or helping individuals address weight and health issues as it is predominately an individual responsibility). It’s also just a shitty way to treat people.

On top of that, there is some degree of bias when it comes to the perception of weight and health. The correlations for health risks exist, undoubtedly, but when we oversimplify too much, it can lead to negative outcomes. For instance, doctors may be too quick to attribute health conditions to obesity instead of doing screening tests. Such bias can increase odds of misdiagnosis.

I can’t account for everything encompassed in body positivity. It’s not just about obesity. It’s about people generally not defining their value and worth based on their body shape (which isn’t just about weight, but also concerns ableism and colourism amongst other biases). It’s about countering a conversely unhealthy trend of promoting unrealistic body image in media. And it’s often about not promoting unhealthy practices that fixate on weight alone.

I am entirely open to the idea that there are unhealthy aspects to body positivity if health risks are ignored, but there are many good and necessary concepts addressed by the body positive movement as well and it would be a shame to dismiss too much of the message by being needlessly reductive.

jakelafort
    Participant

I had periods where it was gym, gym and more gym. Sure there is equipment and various ways to exercise but give me outdoors. I let my gym membership lapse during the pandemic and have not renewed it. There is something so valuable being in nature. Occasionally when i walk with someone socially who is not fit i still enjoy hell out of it and see far more than i do in my typical maniacal state. On one occasion at the peak of a mountain in Vermont i noticed an incredibly attractive scent in a tiny enchanted forest. I tracked it to an evergreen. Took a small sample and put it in a glass in my bedroom where it continuted to be fragrant for two plus years. Sometimes i am shocked by animal noises or sightings. Idk there is just something magical being in the forest.

Appreciation of my life and the wonder of it all is enhanced in a way that can not be duplicated indoors. The old familiar smells and faces of the gym? Phooey.

As far as nutrition it gets confusing. Some of the stuff is fairly clear. Eat a lot of red meat or processed meat and see probability of disease increase markedly. I don’t worry too much cuz i eat lots of veggies, fruit, eggs, seeds etc. I have had the notion that multivitamins and various supplements are a bad choice for one who eats well. I think they are great for people with specific deficiencies. Only thing i pop occasionally is a b12.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.