Sunday School

Sunday School December 4th 2022

This topic contains 41 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Belle Rose 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Non-religious voters wield clout and tilt heavily Democratic.

Being a humanist is impossible in Qatar because religious superstition leads to barbaric laws.

Most Iranians want a secular state and reject forced hijab. The religious morality police are to disband and hopefully stop murdering their own citizens.

A new report highlights the dangers of mixing state and church.

Christians can’t blame anyone else for the decline in belief. You can only pretend for so long.

New research finds that atheists are just as healthy as the religious.

Here’s why vandals sprayed graffiti at Focus on the Family headquarters.

World of Woo: GOLO for Weight Loss.

Environment: Deforestation and Forest Degradation.

The story of the purple tomato — and why its success is a win for GM foods.

Evolution is not a straight line.

A new supercomputer simulation animates the evolution of the universe.

Study on LSD microdosing uncovers neuropsychological mechanisms that could underlie anti-depressant effects.

Research shows that social media hate speech leads to actual violence.

3 rules to express your thoughts so that everyone will understand you.

Long Reads: How States limit teen access to abortion. In from the cold; Solzhenitsyn’s Ivan Denisovich at 60. Silence and Air Raids: 4 essays from wartime Ukraine. For hundreds of years, Christians knew exactly where heaven was: Then came the new cosmologists. Geopolitics is for losers.

Sunday Book Club: Nonverts: The Making of Ex-Christian America.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video: Why Taxpayers should not fund Religious Schools. What James Webb saw near the Edge of the Universe.  I want to play the role of a Roman soldier in this game. In search of a more “Bible accurate” Christmas. Psychologist debunks 8 myths of mass scale.

Have a great week everyone!

Strega

Thanks, Reg!! Safe travels 🙂

_Robert_
    Participant

Very cool purple GMO tomatoes that keep and have health benefits. The heirloom crowd has had all sorts of blueish breed-ed up the old-fashioned way.

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/blue-tomatoes

Autumn
    Participant

World of Woo: GOLO for Weight Loss.

I’ve been looking at fitness and weight loss regimes a lot lately. Losing weight when you’ve gained can be quite challenging. Modern life in many parts of the world feels more conducive to obesity than healthier weight, yet many people for reasons such as health or aesthetics are pretty desperate to lose weight.

There is probably more good information out there than ever. We have more understanding of the biology of weight loss, of managing nutrition as well as the psychological pitfalls most people will hit when trying to lose weight or get in better shape.

But there is also likely a higher volume of bullshit out there. And that’s saying something since health and fitness bullshit has a pretty storied history already. I’ve never heard of GOLO before, but it fits the trend of diet plans that start with a shred of valid science or real-sounding pseudo-science and then take it to some place absurd that always ends in a marketable product. People opting for these plans aren’t necessarily lazy or looking for a quick fist. Many probably just feel a little lost and stuck and there are often good reasons for why they feel that way.

Golo looks like it’s a generic calorie deficit program with an expensive and potentially useless middleman product shoved in there. Calories in; calories out is valid, but most of the nutritional advice they have beyond that seems to be blogosphere nonsense they’ve poorly cobbled together and don’t stand behind.

GOLO is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any illness or disease. This blog provides general information and discussion about health and wellness related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. GOLO encourages you to consult a doctor before making any health changes, especially any changes related to a specific diagnosis or condition. All opinions and articles linked to and from this page are those of the individuals concerned and do not necessarily represent those of GOLO, LLC or its employees. No responsibility can be accepted for any action you take or refrain from taking as a result of viewing this page. GOLO will not be liable for any errors, losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. These terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.

I am aware some of that may just be boilerplate disclaimers these days, but it’s pretty grim.

I sometimes wonder how well the average person can spot the bullshit. I had an ad for a diet plan based on my hormone type. I followed the link and my hormone type was determined by a short multiple choice quiz. That led to some fairly generic and inaccurate sciency-sounding statements and the promise of a diet plan tailored for my hormone type specifically. You could smell the bullshit from a mile away which makes me wonder if the companies clients largely consist of people who really can’t tell it’s all fake, or if their hope for a weight-loss solution causes them to selectively ignore that niggling feeling that things don’t add up.

Some diets are more misleading. People like Liver King have that ultra built physique that many men want or think they need. So when they say they got that physique with an unrealistic training plan and by eating predominately organ meats, it’s easy for people to want to believe. Add in appealing romantic notions like ancestral living and evolutionary roots and you can see why it’s attractive to many. But setting aside the questionable claims of how our ancestors actually lived, why would we look at history to determine present-day diets in the first place? Evolution does matter for diet and fitness, but using dubious inferences into populations that lived very different lives than us (and probably had much lower life expectancies) makes no sense when we can just use real-world data from present-day humans with far less guess work. And of course the crux of it all is that the Liver Kings out there didn’t get their physique naturally. They use performance enhancing drugs to attain unrealistic results and lie about it until they can’t anymore.

Weight loss is rarely going to be easy, but it doesn’t have to be complicated. Much of the barrier for many will come down to a) needing to make adjustments in their life that prioritize fitness and health, and b) managing the psychological challenges with finding and sticking to a sensible routine. But there are so many predatory venture out there trying to profit off of people’s struggle that it can’t make things any easier for people.

We will soon be hearing much about Ozwmpic, an anti-diabetic medication used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and long-term weight loss. I only heard about it last night at a meal in a friends house. He needs it for what it is intended for but it is short supply because so many people are using it for dieting. Even though his wife is a surgeon, they are finding it difficult to source.

Autumn
    Participant

Here’s why vandals sprayed graffiti at Focus on the Family headquarters.

I’m not hopeful we’ll ever get a motive out of the perpetrator. It seems they’ve had a pretty fucked up life. While obviously that doesn’t excuse mass murder, it’s possible the crime didn’t have any motive as clearcut as hate/ bigotry/ internalized homo/transphobia. It’s possible it had nothing to do with any of that and the shooter just choose a place filled with people. He may never say.

That said, I can understand why there would be a backlash against Focus on the Family. Over the last year in particular, we’ve seen a lot of threats against pride activities, 2sLGBTQ+ charities and help lines, queer individuals on social media, schools and hospitals that support trans youth (willingly of by legal requirement) and more. There have been several instances of people showing up armed to events like drag time story hour convinced they are somehow protecting children. Whether society overall has become more or less hostile toward 2SLGBTQ+ people or not is difficult to say, but there’s definitely been effort to rile up those more toward the extreme.

I have often written about Focus on the Family, headquartered in Colorado Springs and I don’t think I have ever posted anything nice about them. It is a disgusting and vile Christian organization in my opinion and I am forcing myself to be polite here!

Autumn
    Participant

We will soon be hearing much about Ozempic, an anti-diabetic medication used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and long-term weight loss. I only heard about it last night at a meal in a friends house. He needs it for what it is intended for but it is short supply because so many people are using it for dieting. Even though his wife is a surgeon, they are finding it difficult to source.

I don’t really get the prescription/ purchasing process that lets this happen so easily. Generally, I am of the mind that people can put into their bodies what they want with informed consent. But managing limited supply of medication is a different matter. It’s like with the rush on hydroxychloroquine earlier on in the pandemic. People needed that medication to manage serious autoimmune conditions, but people using it for covid caused shortages. I understand there are some avenues for acquiring it without prescription, but I don’t understand how enough people were accessing it for off-label use that it caused shortages. Do a significant number of doctors enable this?

In a debate about the pros and cons of GMO foods I was once told that “We should never eat them as they are made from inorganic chemicals that we really don’t know anything about and that we would be safer sticking with organically produced food instead.”

Do a significant number of doctors enable this?

I would expect so, just like they did in facilitating the opioid crisis with “pill mills” as what happened in various small towns in Virginia.  Example. With Hollywood slush funds involved, it would be no surprise.

One of the biggest dieting mistakes is to think there are easy fixes to be had. Rather than fixating on a particular diet one should look to a lifestyle change. Don’t see the desired weight as the target but rather seek to become as healthy as possible by combining any dietary changes with exercise.

The trick is not to wait to get to a target weight in order to start getting fit. Start the exercising first and good eating habits will automatically follow. Get a fitbit or similar tracker (not your phone) and start by walking 30 minutes every day. Build it up over 6 months to a target (say 8K steps a day) or 90 minutes walking. Add in a 500m jog every second day.

As you* do this you will feel healthier and stronger. You will start to view food differently and will make better choices.

But make sure to keep a record of your exercise (in Excel) even though it is kept by Fitbit. Sitting down each evening for a couple of minutes to record yesterdays routines is important. “It does not get done unless it is measured” is my mindset.

* anyone

Belle Rose
    Participant

Rather than fixating on a particular diet one should look to a lifestyle change. Don’t see the desired weight as the target but rather seek to become as healthy as possible by combining any dietary changes with exercise.

The trick is not to wait to get to a target weight in order to start getting fit. Start the exercising first and good eating habits will automatically follow.

Unfortunately, this advice is often given to people who are overweight… And it’s wrong. There is so much wrong information out there it’s absolutely mind-boggling. No wonder nobody knows what to do!

The only thing that actually works is Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s advice. Anyone trying to lose weight. The book “Eat to Live,” Among many of his other books… Although they all pretty much prescribe the same thing. It is the only thing that really works. I have had tremendous success eating this way….. I am 1/4 Native American… And have learned that my genetic ancestry is such that insulin resistance happens to me when I eat anything other than the way Dr. Joel Fuhrman prescribes. I am convinced that it is because my ancestors evolved eating mostly a vegetarian diet… And when I eat any other way other than what Dr. Joel Fuhrman talks about in his books, bad things happen to my waistline…. It is complete utter bullshit to tell somebody who has become morbidly obese anything other than the truth… And the truth is that that person has become insulin resistant, and the only way to cure insulin resistance naturally is to eat the way discussed by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It is dangerous to tell somebody otherwise actually… It is just too bad that the medical community is just barely catching up. But the proof is in the pudding! H=N/C (Health = Nutrient Density/ Calories). The higher the nutrient density of the food that you eat, the healthier you are…. It’s mind-bogglingly simple. But it is not main stream. There is no way to accidentally eat this way. One has to be extremely intentional and willing to go against the grain of society. But it is so worth it!!!!!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Belle Rose.

Belle Rose
    Participant

….oh yah…one more thing: this whole “body positivity” movement – is also dangerous. Dr. Joel Fuhrman tells it like it is: “If you are carrying excess weight on your body, you are shortening your life span.” It’s a hard pill for people to swallow but it’s the truth! No matter who you are. Being “positive” about your body doesn’t mean that a person’s choice to bury their head in the sand on the issue automatically makes their choice a healthy one. They might placate their emotions for a short while, but the internal damage they are causing their own health in the long run will eventually override their “positivity” in the form of unnecessary chronic disease. Which one? Really depends on your own personal genetics. But no one is immune. We are all human afterall 😉

Autumn
    Participant

Unfortunately, this advice is often given to people who are overweight… And it’s wrong. There is so much wrong information out there it’s absolutely mind-boggling. No wonder nobody knows what to do!

It’s not really wrong; however, there is no one-size-fits-all approach.

I can’t really account for Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s work as I know nothing about it. I would hope ‘nutrient dense’ is a simplification here. Most people can get most of the micro nutrients they need without calculating daily values. Deficiencies can exist for various reasons some of which may just be inadequate diet, but others may be due to other factors that may need medical attention.

With weight loss specifically, calories in; calories out is the basic starting point for most people. Weight loss isn’t the same as health, but building healthy, sustainable routines coupled with weight loss for most people should be fairly attainable without large amounts of technical information.

Right now, I’m getting back in shape. The last decade wasn’t a great one. I became sedentary. I struggled with depression and anxiety which led to poor eating and inactivity. As a result, I became obese. While BMI is a grossly imperfect tool, in my case a BMI of 33 was probably pretty indicative of my health in relation to my weight.

The problem with most basic fitness advice wasn’t the advice but rather the likelihood I’d stick to it. Now that I’m training to get in shape for climbing again, it’s relatively easy because a) I love climbing and b) I have a tangible goal again. I have an exercise regimen centred on climbing training, walking, work, and flexibility/ mobility exercises. I make gradual and sustainable adjustments to diet, monitoring how I feel and looking for incremental weight loss. Mostly I focus on how much energy I have in a caloric deficit, look at my macros, try to eat a variety and try to prepare most of my meals from scratch. There were some possibilities of deficiencies (e.g. I had symptoms of omega 3  deficiency and increasing omega 3 intake seemed to alleviate some of those symptoms). Mostly I am not doing anything particularly complicated and have been achieving the results I want. The rest is mostly trying to reduce stress and improve sleep.

It’s not an approach that will work for everyone, especially if they have complicating circumstances medically or in their life. But most people should be able to manage sustainable weight loss and improved health with a similar regimen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.