Sunday School

Sunday School December 4th 2022

This topic contains 41 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Belle Rose 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Autumn
    Participant

There are a few people are less likely to get depending on diet. Vitamin D. Omega 3. Vitamin K, I think. One of the -siums (magnesium?). Some people are more prone to iron deficiency. And with a lot of people turning a way from iodized salt, it’s possible people don’t get enough iodine.

Then there are anti-nutrients. Oatmeal, for instance, has phytic acid, I believe, which can reduce iron absorption (for a short period of time), but soaking the oats can help break down the phytic acid. For me I have to consider caution around oxalates. They can contribute to kidney stones which very very nearly killed my mother. I have no clue if there is any hereditary component.

But honestly, in most cases I just can’t get too obsessed. I am pretty sure at some point in my sixties I’m just going to wander off into the woods and let the coyotes and mountain lions have at me. Nothing against getting old. More worried about getting sick of it all. In the intervening decades, I’ll try to keep fit and live moderately when it comes to food and drink.

jakelafort
    Participant

Autumn, 60s arrive way too fast. I am nearly at that crossroads. Time feels like it is accelerating.

I don’t feel old. Not at all. But i guess that is not your worry. It is the part about getting sick of it all. That is addressed in part by the seeming celerity of time passages. It also can make us more daring to do an about-face into the teeth of change when life feels intolerably stressful or boring. And lets not leave out living in interesting times. I don’t think any point in human history is more interesting than the present. Why allow a mountain lion to interrupt the play?

Autumn
    Participant

My mom in her sixties was younger than I’ve been since I was a teenager. It was like her second childhood in many ways—better in that she had more money and autonomy. But rather than a serious notion that I plan to retire early, so-to-speak, it’s the idea that I could. I’ve given myself the license to say I’ve had enough if I really feel that’s the case.

That said, I’ve embraced the midlife crisis. I sat myself back down on the starting line of adulthood and am taking another stab at figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Belle Rose
    Participant

@autumn

I highly recommend acquainting yourself

https://youtu.be/GGfgmq3hrTQ

although another great wealth of information besides Dr Joel Fuhrman is Dr Will Bulsciewicz, and his book “Fiber Fueled,” also see “Mastering Diabetes.” By Cyrus….(forget the last name). I like all 3 sources however my favorite is probably Dr. Will Bulsciewicz. He is the first doctor I’ve ever seen discuss the concept of “High Histamine” foods. I also love the simplicity of his message which is the same message as Dr Joel Fuhrman but he puts it in a different way. Quite simply:

“Think diversity of plants.”

easy breezy.

Diversity of plants.

Now when I cook I literally try to put every vegetable I possibly can into my meals. When you eat a ton of fiber you will not be hungry. And the calories will automatically be lower if you’re simply sautéing in water (not oil), you will be full….and automatically be cutting calories when you make fiber the focus.

Dr Joel Fuhrman talks about eating GBOMBS

Greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries, seeds….

most days I now eat “Gbombs” along with squash, chile (red or green), whole grains, and if there’s room, THEN I’ll maybe have animal products. Maybe. But usually when I really eat HUGE salads with as many vegetables as possible…..I challenge you to read the books. Try it. Then bash it if it doesn’t work for you 😉

Belle Rose
    Participant

@Reg

lol I love bill maher. But I disagree in the sense that he too is unknowingly adding to the problem by making it sound like Americans are the gluttonous bottomless pits , and if we could simply get control of ourselves then the obesity epidemic would all go away….

We have been lied to for too long. Obesity is not a disease caused by lack of willpower and lack of saying no to overeating. Obesity is a hormonal disease. Calories has absolutely nothing to do with it. “Eat less and move more,” doesn’t work. It’s about the nutrient density per calorie. Americans are starving! When you see an obese person they are starving!!!! (Of micronutrients)….that’s why their hunger signals have gone all wrong. They have “toxic hunger ,” (a term Dr Fuhrman uses) meaning they keep eating….because their body is craving nutrients. Their hunger signals can only be fixed by eating a diversity of plant foods….

Belle Rose
    Participant

It’s not a moral issue.  It’s a biological one. Americans eat too much meat, too few vegetables, and too much processed foods.

Belle Rose
    Participant

Since starting to eat this way the weight has literally fallen off faster then I ever thought was possible (almost in a scary way). People at work make comments at how, “Are you losing weight?” ….I always smile, “thank you for noticing,” 😊 if only the doctors told me this years ago….unfortunately doctors still believe the lies too. Too many doctors don’t have any real education when it comes to nutrition. It’s not really taught in medical school! Scary huh?

Autumn
    Participant

@autumn I highly recommend acquainting yourself https://youtu.be/GGfgmq3hrTQ although another great wealth of information besides Dr Joel Fuhrman is Dr Will Bulsciewicz, and his book “Fiber Fueled,” also see “Mastering Diabetes.” By Cyrus….(forget the last name).

I’ll try to give it a watch later in the week when I have some time.

Autumn
    Participant

This is more Schadenfreude than reportage per se* (though the information is factual, it’s editorialized), but it’s entertaining all the same:

*Just saying I am aware of the bias. The YouTuber never claimed to be impartial to my knowledge.

Some good info here on micronutrient inadequacies.

Unseen
    Participant

I like that among Elon’s first moves in his “free speech absolutism” was to fire internal critics.

Now, one might say that, duh, that might happen in any business, but most businesses aren’t being run by an avowed free speech litertarian.

Belle Rose
    Participant

@Reg that is the same resource Dr. Terry Wahls used to help inform on her development of the “Wahls’s Protocol.” I’ve read her books too. She’s also a great resource for information. Her story is inspiring as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.