Sunday School

Sunday School November 10th 2019

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 2 hours, 3 minutes ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

When to comes to the adoption and fostering of children, new government sponsored Christianity rules allow some citizens to discriminate against other citizens.

What Australians really think about religion.

Child sexual abuse inquiry criticizes lack of cooperation from Vatican.

Bill Barr – A religious bigot who plays the victim. Paula White finds herself doing battle with Satan on her first day in the job.

The pill that makes us ill.

This weeks’ Woo: Firehosing – How anti-vaxxers spread misinformation.

Climate Crisis: More than 11,000 scientists issue fresh warning.

Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity is 100 SpaceTime years old. (See video below). In a Quantum Universe Space and Time may be continuous rather than discrete. A new study suggests that the Universe is a closed sphere rather than being flat.

Voyager 2 sends a message from interstellar space. Tomorrow the planet Mercury will be parading across the face of the Sun.

Brazil’s flat Earthers to get their day in the sun.

The Satanic Temple takes control of the mind of a therapist.

An atheist’s guide to Alcoholics Anonymous.

Meet the pigs that could solve the human organ transplant crisis.

The Catholic Church helped give rise to intellectual thought since the Middle-Ages. (Reg- surely a typo?).

A.I. solves the “Three body Problem” that has perplexed astronomy for years in under a second.

How to be an Epicurean.

Stephen Fry and the “Every Human Being” campaign.

Long Read: Mike Pence and the rerouting of foreign aid to Christian groups.

This week I am reading these books: There are 3 new books on Human Consciousness. I will start with Koch’s book as I once attended a lecture of his and found him very interesting.  (See video below).

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  Christof Koch – The Future of Consciousness. BBC – Do you really understand Einstein’s theory of relativity?

Have a great week everyone!!

“Our weapons are the ironic mind against the literal: the open mind against the credulous; the courageous pursuit of truth against the fearful and abject forces who would set limits to investigation (and who stupidly claim that we already have all the truth we need). Perhaps above all, we affirm life over the cults of death and human sacrifice and are afraid, not of inevitable death, but rather of a human life that is cramped and distorted by the pathetic need to offer mindless adulation, or the dismal belief that the laws of nature respond to wailings and incantations.”

– Christopher Hitchens

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Christopher Hitchens

Ouch!

It is amazing that AI can now find solutions to the three-body problem in under two seconds.  It’s interesting that it learned how to do it from Brutus the brute-force program.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

_Robert_
    Participant

Another result of Einstein’s theory of relativity: A wind-up watch that is stopped has less mass than the same watch that is ticking away.

PopeBeanie

Another result of Einstein’s theory of relativity: A wind-up watch that is stopped has less mass than the same watch that is ticking away.

I had an urge just last week to google whether or not an atom gains and loses mass whenever it absorbs and emits a massless photon. Sure enough, it does! Absorbing a photon causes an electron to jump up to a higher orbit, while at the same time increasing the atom’s energy, “E” in the E = mc² equation. Mathematically demonstrated, since one side of the equation increases, so must “m” on the other side.

I also learned that “the speed of light” is not exactly the best way to describe what limits velocity in the universe. More grammatically precise, light propagates at the universal maximum speed of causality. And light is just one force that does this. Gravity also propagates through space at this maximum speed of causality. (I assume the same is true for magnetism.) “Speed of light” is just easier to say than all that.

Now I have another question. Does a wound-up watch that’s not moving internally (say from some malfunction) weigh more than an energy-spent watch?

Now I have another question. Does a wound-up watch that’s not moving internally (say from some malfunction) weigh more than an energy-spent watch?

Without doing any math my first thought is “yes” it does weigh more because of the stored potential energy.

_Robert_
    Participant

Now I have another question. Does a wound-up watch that’s not moving internally (say from some malfunction) weigh more than an energy-spent watch? Without doing any math my first thought is “yes” it does weigh more because of the stored potential energy.

agreed…plus kinetic and even a bit of thermal energy.

The watch, over time (T), is losing energy even if it is not functioning  internally and so entropy is increasing even though the system is not doing any “work”. If it was functioning internally and was doing “work” it would reach a high entropy state a lot faster.

I am correct?

What would happen if you were wearing that watch while climbing a ladder to the moon 🙂

Christopher Hitchens………..Ouch!

Some called him a militant atheist for that above quote. Others see it as him dealing with the realities of life.

_Robert_
    Participant

The watch, over time (T), is losing energy even if it is not functioning internally and so entropy is increasing even though the system is not doing any “work”. If it was functioning internally and was doing “work” it would reach a high entropy state a lot faster.

I remember one tricky engineering professor asked how much power a 1.0 Vrms sinewave of frequency                1e-100000000000000000000000000000 Hz would deliver to a 1 OHM load.  I answered that dust is a non conductor so zero power will be delivered. He gave me an extra 5 points.

This preying priest is another reason that the Catholic Church should be disbanded.

Strega

What would happen if you were wearing that watch while climbing a ladder to the moon

I’ll be a lot more impressed if you could tell me what time it is on the moon when you get there.

Assuming sound could travel through space it would take almost 2 weeks to tell you the time but if I used a radio, only about 2 or 3 seconds, depending on the time of the year. I thought the climb itself would be more impressive!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.