unapologetic
@unapologetic
Active 1 year ago-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoAutumn wrote:
no matter what you do the foetus unwillingly is subject to such consequences. It’s not a situation where someone deciding to terminate is imposing consequences on a foetus and someone deciding not to terminate is not imposing consequences.But the consequences are not indifferently felt by the foetus. There’s a world of di…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months ago@strega – that’s true, I can see your point.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoAutumn wrote:
As I stated, if all he means is that the foetus is impacted by your moral position, that was always the case where you were, hypothetically, in a position to make the decision regarding termination.OK, then I propose to hypothetically impose the consequences of my moral belief (necessarily hypothetically, since I can’t give birth)…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoUnseen wrote:
to the extent that they stand behind an action or belief as moral, it’s very hard to justify them as such without reference to something outside themselves as a standard. In other words, something objective.That’s true I think. But the structure of what we need to do in order to cooperate, and hence, the ideals of cooperation, ar…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoAutumn wrote:
Setting aside the unborn child bit which has already discussed, what morality is imposed?I think he meant, my moral belief that abortion is acceptable.
In terms of whether the foetus is going to be impacted by someone else’s moral decision, well that was always the case. Parents will make decisions which impact offspring in many s…
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoUnseen wrote:
Morality doesn’t work without morals (objective standards). But the fact is there are no such objective standards. Common beliefs give the appearance of being objective standards, but the fact is they vary from place to place.But surely if we follow your logic, morality doesn’t work since it is not objective because there are no o…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoTheEncogitationer wrote:
And according to Abrahamic legend, their God JHVH-1 punished Adam and Eve and, by inheritance all humanity afterwards, because Adam and Eve partook of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. How can the words of such a Nihilistic God be a valid guide for anything?I’ve never understood what the lesson of that story is…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoStrega wrote:
If morals were objective, they would be rules.But some values are so important, they’re as-if rules. For example, care towards children; not committing rape; not causing unnecessary harm; sharing fairly with one’s collaborative partners; reciprocating a favour.
Unnecessary murder, or murder out of cruelty and enjoyment, are…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agojakelafort wrote:
William Lane Craig? Professional charlatan. Professional sophist.He tends to have fixed views about things, yes. But he’s a humane guy who tolerates different points of view. I’ve been made a Top Fan a few times. I respect him as a philosopher, or at least, his professionalism.
The old chestnut is objective morality. The…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agojakelafort wrote:
And when they are in power it really counts.Since religion is patriarchal, I think that being anti-abortion is really about controlling women’s rights and their sexuality.
Craig wants to impose his arbitrary morality on all of us.
At least, the right wing. Pro-choice people don’t try and impose abortion onto everyone, they…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agojakelafort wrote:
No, morality requires our JUDGMENT.I don’t think that’s necessarily the problem. I find that people like WLC do use judgment and discrimination like anyone else. I think the real problem is elevating certain principles, like anti-abortionism, absurdly above others, like simple benefit and harm and human dignity.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoStrega wrote:
Unborn baby is an invention to try to attach pseudo-objective emotion.You’re right – it’s not a baby, below a certain age, it’s just a lump of stuff. “Unborn child” or “unborn baby” is an emotionally loaded term designed to elicit undue alarm for a termination.
I didn’t want to get into debating abortion with a right-wing…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoReg the Fronkey Farmer wrote:
So where does our morality come from then?I was having a conversation with a Christian guy recently on the William Lane Craig Facebook page. He was saying, if your morality isn’t objective, then how can you justify imposing it on other people? I was saying, I don’t. This was in the context of the recent ov…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic I saw this on Quora….what really matters when you’re about to die? in the forum Small Talk 3 years, 11 months ago
Belle Rose wrote:
But, after we die, what’s gonna matter is what kind of afterlife there is and if we prepared for it or not.I don’t rule it out. On that basis, you might be right. In that case, I think we might spend a very long time contemplating all the things we did wrong and are now unable to fix or redeem in any way. That would resu…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Music Origins, History, Creation, Special Musicians… in the forum Small Talk 3 years, 11 months ago
_Robert_ wrote:
Music standing alone without the creator’s backstory is not nearly as compelling. Same for music heard without knowledge of its original context.Ah, I think that whatever music means to you, is what it means, like anything, or any art.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Catholic Schizophrenia in the forum Theism 3 years, 11 months ago
It’s nice that you are so well-mannered Johan. But proselytising and preaching is against the house rules.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Music Origins, History, Creation, Special Musicians… in the forum Small Talk 3 years, 11 months ago
Here is a really nice mixtape of Arabic and East European trap music that I love listening to. There is a lot of excellent music out there that we’ve never heard.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School October 9th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 12 months agojakelafort wrote:
But assuming that the representation as cruel sadists is accurate in describing way too many nuns what is the cause?My theory is this. Religion is there to promote good behaviour and prevent or punish bad behaviour (contextually defined). This gives sadistic people a great excuse to punish all over vulnerable people.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School October 9th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 4 years agoReg the Fronkey Farmer wrote:
Survival of the fittest versus compassion and cooperation in evolutionary theory and politics.Robert Trivers’ theory states that the human race learnt its altruistic instincts through tit-for-tat reciprocity: I give to you, you pay me back in the future. This sounds plausible until you examine it in the ecological…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School October 9th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 4 years ago_Robert_ wrote:
OT Leviticus 20:13 If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.NT Romans 1:27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with…
- Load More