Sunday School

Sunday School 21st February 2021

This topic contains 75 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author

A “Moment of Silence” Bill in Florida is another attempt to indoctrinate children.

All religions have a history of sexual abuse against women and children. They close ranks when confronted with their crimes and tend to first sympathize with the abuser rather that the abused. That fact (yes, fact) alone shows how warped these religious men are.

Christians continue to want to risk the lives of the neighbors they profess to love. More than 20 States are debating bills to allow super-spreader services while a pastor in Canada has been arrested for violating public health orders.

Right Wing Christian zealots are working on voter suppression strategies for future elections while others are claiming that Joe Biden is “too obsessed” with LGBTQ people.

One of the most pathetic Christian arguments we often hear.

This week’s Woo:  The Hallelujah Diet (I know, I know…).

Environment: Everything in Texas went wrong at once.

The rise of God-like beings.

Is Spacetime real?

World’s oldest DNA is sequenced from million-year-old mammoths.

Mapping Human and Neanderthal genomes.

COVID vaccines and safety: what the research says.

The Simulation Hypothesis is Pseudoscience.

Does Religion have any role in morality in 21st Century and choosing the right thing to do.

Should rich nations shift entirely to synthetic beef?

Smuggled diary tells how abducted women survived Boko Haram camp.

How to prevent AI from taking over the world.

The splendid isolation of a day in the forest.

This week I will order this book: The Daughters of Kobani.

Some photographs taken last week. Images from the Cancun Underwater Museum.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  Gravitational Wave Background discovered? How far is the edge of the universe? “Faith: Pretending to know things you don’t know” by Dr. Peter Boghossian. Two Church Ladies vs. Satan – Key & Peele.

Have a great week everyone!

Strega

Thanks Reg!

I’m still staggered by some of your puns. The awfulness defies description. However, I shall leave you with this:-

A few puns make me numb, but maths puns make me number.

🙂

Davis

A few puns make me numb, but maths puns make me number.

My eyes rolled so hard they got stuck and now I permanently look sceptical and bemused by everything.

The awfulness defies description…..

I could try describing it but you would only see it as a form of punishment 🙂

Unseen
    Participant

When it comes to abuse of women and children, even when the authorities in the church know wrongs have been done, Christianity is all about forgiveness and redemption (Let he who has never sinned blah blah), which is the theological reason so many times abusers who promise they won’t do it again get another chance.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Unseen.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg and Strega,

I missed Reg’s pun (though I certainly couldn’t–and didn’t–miss Strega’s 😉)

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Regarding The Hallelujah Diet: They are risking their health by not cooking.  Not only does cooking kill pathogens, but it is the only thing that releases the lycopene in tomatoes.

Also, the Daniel Diet is an exercise in futility if it wants to avoid microwaves.  Not only do we get microwaves from objects in space, but we get cosmic rays that no one yet knows the effects of on our health.

Any diet that prescribes not cooking almost gets into “Noble Savage” mythology, the notion that primitive man was pristine and pure and in touch with nature and turned corrupt by civilization and changes in technology.

On a cold day like today, nothing hits the spot like some hot tomato-based vegetable beef soup with Jalapeño peppers and barley added for zest and hearty flavor!  I’ll pass on the diet of the ascetic.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

The article from Religion News rightly condemns Ravi Zacharias and the Ministers who sided with him, yet it continues to promulgate blind faith and cites from the very book that portrays and sanctions slavery, rape, and abuse all in the name of God.  At this rate, it doesn’t look like the problem of abuse in religion will ever get solved from within it.

Yes, the religious diets are very unhealthy. The next global crisis will be “Endocrine Disruptors” (link). It will be mainstream news once Covid is off the front pages. They are damaging to human (and animal) fertility.

They are not labelled on products and industries lobby against doing so the same way Big Tobacco lobbied against putting health warnings or recognizing cancer correlation evidence.

Do not microwave food in plastic containers or even store food in plastic containers. More on this later.

Davis

I think that this point you might as well just have a Clorox Bleach diet. God will protect you if he wants to (which he doesn’t).

At this rate, it doesn’t look like the problem of abuse in religion will ever get solved from within it.

I agree. Religions have always abused and discriminated. The Catholic Church has priests actively engaged in the rape of children as are many other types of Christian cults.

I have almost stopped linking cases in Sunday School. The Catholic Church should stop talking about “a few bad apples” and just torch the whole barrel.

@ Unseen –  the problem with religion is that it forgives these abusers before they merit forgiveness.

“You said you are sorry for all the abuse and the pain you caused, so you are forgiven”.

“God spoke to me and told me I was forgiven” is a regular refrain.

“We are all sinners and I humbly ask the congregation for their forgiveness”.  OK, Done! You are forgiven.

They did not ask the victim for forgiveness or make any attempt at restitution but the flock forgives them  and that is good enough in their eyes because that meets their religious moral standard.

@Encogitationer: The terrible pun you missed (not) was from last week – in my reply to Strega here.

I tried so hard not to use about 20 puns in the above sentence that are in my head and I am very proud of myself 🙂

Maybe I suffer from Witzelsucht syndrome but I will be cured once I pun that silly word to death! If only there was another German word to explain how I will feel when I do 🙂

Simon Paynton
    Participant

choosing the right thing to do.

This is interesting.  I didn’t realise that established philosophy divides moral normativity (“should-ness”) into three categories: me, you, and objective self-other equivalence.  It maps on neatly to Michael Tomasello’s classification: “me-concerns”, “you-concerns”, “equality concerns”, and “we-concerns” or responsibility to others (the group or team).

Any morally motivated action has to be grounded in a case-by-case synthesis of these four concerns.  I can see that each one has a normativity attached to it, all of its own: we “ought” to be kind, to be fair, to fulfil our responsibilities.  I think that the formula “everyone affected by my actions, including myself, is to receive the maximum benefit and minimum harm available to them” can satisfy any or all of the concerns at once, depending on the situation: selfishness, altruism, justice, or responsibility can have their interests weighed in this formula, since it’s a “fair” distribution of benefit and harm.

For me, this practical approach of evolutionary psychology is better than pure moral philosophy, which tends to go nowhere, except up its own ass, grounded in nothing.

when assessing moral success or failure, the primary target should be lives, not acts. In most cases, a specific act is meaningful only in terms of its place in one’s life as a whole;

I disagree, since bad people can do good things etc.  In fact, I think the Christian ideal of judging behaviour rather than people is a good one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.