Sunday School

Sunday School 24th January 2021

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

It’s onward Christian soldiers with Project Blitz as the US is set for flurry of bills advanced to limited the human rights of fellow citizens. Jesus must be spinning in his grave at their lack of Christianity but then again Jesus was not a white conservative. Real men don’t need to be sexist, racist and xenophobic. Do these conspiracy theorists ever get a good night’s sleep? They too have a dream. A dream about the adventures of the Coup Klux Clan. Maybe they need a better diet. Definitely better schooling; the kind that does not allow for the radicalization of children. Imagine, One Nation not under any imaginary god and where the Jefferson Statute finally forges a pluralistic paradise.

As a Muslim State tries to curtail Freedom of Expression in the US, the head of a foreign Christian state tries to influence President Biden. Of the two groups, these dark ages radical extremists are a vulgar stain on human decency. Listen to this holy man (but keep a bucket nearby).

Ha! Someone else who has no idea about what theists mean by “god” (because the god they argue for is never the god they claim to believe in when they attempt a definition). I would go further with the argument than the article does.

Members of the Religion of Peace have decided not to kill or imprison some children on behalf of the Prophet Mohamed who is currently unable to defend himself as he died almost 1,400 years ago.

You have rights but your views do not. We should all have the freedom to offend. Being offended is the price we pay for living in a free society.

Knipperdolling of the week: Can you spot any flaws in this letter?

So, like I am not traditionally religious yah? But I am like really spiritual in a wholesome way and I so heart magnolia because it’s awesome. Well obviously, like I love Jesus the most and not just because He is God but because He loves me too and it all makes so much sense when you think about it and oh my gawd it all so amazing and……

This weeks’ Woo:  The Anti-Vaxxer Playbook.

Environment: The ongoing collapse of the world’s aquifers.

Are the brains of atheists different to those of religious people?

Right-wingers retreat to the pain cave.

Why did early humans leave Africa and when will we migrate to the asteroid belt?

Newly discovered giant galaxies dwarf the Milky Way.

This may be Earth’s oldest rock—and it was collected on the moon.

Long Reads: The battle for moral authority. Stop blaming technology – distraction starts within you. Into the arms of strangers. Radio waves meet ocean waves. Downloadable podcast (only 44 MB) “What is Life”.

This week I will read this book: Why the Germans Do it Better.

Some photographs taken last week and some pink seesaws.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video: TedTalk: How to build trust. Sam Harris — The Moral Landscape: How Science can determine Human Values. Bill Maher has some new rules for 2021.

Have a great week everyone!

If we are to have another contest (Civil War) in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon’s, but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition, and ignorance on the other……. keep the church and state separate forever.

Ulysses S. Grant, 1875. more here.

Unseen
    Participant

Reg, I went to read that article about Pakistan trying to infringe on our freedoms but, once again, I’m confronted by a Washington Post pay wall and I won’t be alone.

I spend a lot of time reading news stories, but so many of the primary sources nowadays are behind pay walls, so I look to secondary sources to tell me what they said.

This is a problem now and will become an ever-increasing one as the better sites cast around for revenue sources to finance their activities.

If you’re going to continue to want us to be aware of their stories, you may have to copy them for us.

Strega

Brilliant. Thanks, Reg!

Here you go Unseen. I can view it here and I am not subscribed to it. It is somewhat of a local news story for you.

ISLAMABAD — Pakistan has ordered a U.S.-based website propagating the faith of Pakistan’s minority Ahmadis shut down over allegedly blasphemous content, one of the site’s managers said Thursday.

Harris Zafar said Pakistan’s Telecommunication Authority earlier this month issued a legal notice for him and fellow American Amjad Mahmood Khan, who also manages Trueislam.com, demanding that the site be shut down.

Zafar said the website is based in the U.S., where both he and Khan live and work, and called Pakistan’s action “a brazen act of suppression of freedom of expression and freedom of religion.”

“All content is U.S. based and all activities are in the U.S. as well,” said Zafar. “There is nothing about Pakistan on the site”.

The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority did not immediately respond to an AP request for comment and Zafar and Khan’s website is not available in Pakistan.

Zafar, who lives in Portland, Oregon but has relatives in Pakistan, said in an email to The Associated Press that he and Khan were also threatened with a $3.1 million fine and warned of charges under Pakistan’s controversial blasphemy law, which can carry the death penalty for insulting Islam.

Blasphemy has been a contentious issue in Pakistan where domestic and international human rights groups say blasphemy allegations have often been used to intimidate religious minorities and to settle personal scores.

Pakistan’s parliament declared Ahmadis non-Muslims in 1974. Since then, they have repeatedly been targeted by Islamic extremists in the Muslim-majority nation. An Ahmadi can get 10 years in prison for claiming to be a Muslim.

The legal notice accuses Zafar and Khan, a lawyer, of violating Pakistani laws for hosting and disseminating content on their website related to members the Ahmadi community who are “not allowed to preach or propagate their faith or invite others to accept their faith.”

Zafar said he and Khan were both born in the U.S. and did not flee persecution in Pakistan, though he stressed they “do get involved in helping persecuted Ahmadis in Pakistan and other parts of the world.”

The Ahmadi faith was established on the Indian subcontinent in the 19th century by Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, whose followers believe he was the messiah that was promised by the Prophet Muhammad. Pakistan’s parliament declared Ahmadis non-Muslims in 1974. Since then, they have repeatedly been targeted by Islamic extremists in the Muslim-majority nation.

Strega

@unseen if you are able to see the heading of the article when you meet the paywall, type it into a google search and you’ll get other copies of the same article on free sites like Associated Press.

“Pakistan seeks to block US-based website of minority Ahmadis” was the headline of the article I think you wanted. If you put that in the search engine, you’ll get a readable version.

This trick works an awful lot more often than you could possibly expect.

PopeBeanie

Speaking of Podcast Addict (where Reg’s suggested podcast download resides), I want to say that their android app is probably my most favorite app of all time, and has been for years. They are constantly adding more and more great features. I pay for the subscription version with a few more features, but the free version is great, too.

The app also works on Chromebooks (because Chromebook OS can also run most Android apps). But unfortunately, there’s no Apple version.

I only fear that PA will become so popular that it may eventually choose to evolve toward the business model that most other podcast apps and distributors use, focusing on serving podcasts that only they want you to see and subscribe to. So far, the PA app uses a great podcast search feature that ranges beyond just the set of podcasts that they recommend.

I think that having specific podcasts on the web that one can download (like via Reg’s link, above) is a relatively new feature. I’ll look into their website more now, and update our Podcasts, RSS Resources, and Playlists forum with my recommendation, and the most relevant description.

(It’s way past time for me to get on the ball there.)

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The battle for moral authority.

Eli Steele seems to be saying that the reasons for the disadvantage of black people in the USA is that the Left have treated them as an identity rather than as people – promoting people based on their identity, rather than on personal merit.  He favours the idea of personal development rather than an “easy hand up”.  I think this is a good idea, but it’s ridiculous to say that systemic racism is not fundamentally to blame for the disadvantage.

He also seems to think that Amazon should take “all comers” like Youtube do, and not to discriminate over what they show on their platform.  This is also silly, and entitled.  He assumes that when his film was rejected, it was on the grounds of political correctness.  Maybe he’s right, maybe he’s wrong.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Sam Harris — The Moral Landscape: How Science can determine Human Values.

Sam Harris is great, and I think his book has a lot of interesting things to say, but he makes a fundamental error in assuming without question that benefit and harm are the primary human values.  He should have recognised that these are a somewhat arbitrary choice, and we could have chosen others, and some people do.  Some people choose “religious observance” over benefit and harm, for example.

Nowadays, ten years on, we know more about morality and know that aside from benefit and harm, there are maybe 5 other sets of primary moral values as well (not including religious observance).  But benefit and harm remains the fundamental currency of all the rest.  So from a 2121 perspective, his thesis looks a bit simplistic.  But that’s not to denigrate his very important book.

_Robert_
    Participant

The battle for moral authority.

Eli Steele seems to be saying that the reasons for the disadvantage of black people in the USA is that the Left have treated them as an identity rather than as people – promoting people based on their identity, rather than on personal merit. He favours the idea of personal development rather than an “easy hand up”. I think this is a good idea, but it’s ridiculous to say that systemic racism is not fundamentally to blame for the disadvantage…

I have witnessed preferential treatment of minorities in my corporate career. I didn’t care for it at the time. I have recently decided this is just a drop in the bucket compared to the damage done. Not seeing the forest for the trees, I forgot how far right the left has shifted over the last few decades. The recent unhiding of white nationalism has provided me with a reset. Personal development is good and all, but when you are viewed with contempt (most of it almost unconscious) by so many you deserve extra help.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

From an outside perspective, as a white person, I see that black people in the US/UK face two main problems: being forced into a low socio-economic status, and not being treated as equal human beings.  The first is very hard to fix, and the second is easier.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Knipperdolling of the week: Can you spot any flaws in this letter?

It’s pretty scary when people say that it’s sinful and evil not to be religious.

Davis

Totally Robert. You can only self-develop as much as society will allow you to. No culture within a nation is inherently incapable of self-development. If a community is not progressing with everyone else then they are being held back. Being silent about this, not pointing out the injustice and discrimination, not fighting against it and quietly hoping society will change their tune achieves jack shit.

I think that the “One Nation” article is very good.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.