Sunday School

Sunday School 28th February 2021

This topic contains 42 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Fellow Unbelievers,

Man, I gotta say, this is the first time I’ve ever seen a chorus of Atheists singing “T-r-r-r-r-a di- SHUN!”

Now don’t you know if Topal had stayed down on the Shtetl as Tevye, he never could have been Dr. Zarkoff helping Flash Gordon fight Ming The Merciless?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Oi! Meshugganah spelling and HTML!

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Davis, Strega, Reg, and Kristina,

I grant you that abolishing Monarchy is probably not priority one or even 10.  But it is a piece of unfinished business from The Enlightenment and will need to be done sometime.

There is actually a school of thought that thinks the whole Enlightenment experiment was a big mistake and that we need to go back to Ye Ol’ Throne and Altar.  It is known of Dark Enlightenment or Neoreactionism.

Dark Enlightenment–Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Enlightenment

As long as there is anyone that seriously thinks like this, I’d rather leave them no structure to work with and leverage.

And, yes, I have my criticism of how the U.S. Presidential system has turned out, namely, that Congress and the Supremes over the decades have conceded far too much power to The President and that Office has become more like a Monarchy.

In the latest example, the present occupant, Sleepy, Creepy, Crazy, Cranky, Tankie, Corn-Pop, Lunch-Bucket, Shotgun Joe, has used the stroke of a pen and made the U.S. once again beholden for oil to Saudi Arabia, Iran, and every other oil-producing Islamic tyranny on the Planet…

And this was right when we were on the cusp on not needing anyone else for oil anymore, and right when the Ummah was in retreat on Mohammed’s dream of a world under Allah.  (Really, we could have been energy independent in the Eighties, but that’s another thread.)

Anyway, it may be “good to be King,” but it sucks to be the rest of us.

Just to be clear  – I am not a monarchist or supporter of royalty in any form. I am not a follower of anyone and care not for any cult of celebrity. I hope this startling news does not cause anyone to swoon 🙂

Kristina
    Participant

Davis, Strega, Reg, and Kristina, I grant you that abolishing Monarchy is probably not priority one or even 10. But it is a piece of unfinished business from The Enlightenment and will need to be done sometime. There is actually a school of thought that thinks the whole Enlightenment experiment was a big mistake and that we need to go back to Ye Ol’ Throne and Altar. It is known of Dark Enlightenment or Neoreactionism. Dark Enlightenment–Wikipedia

This is not a credible threat to anything. If the monarchy of the UK wanted to wrest back control (or some group wanted to install a new monarch), they’d have to exercise the same means as any other faction, ideology, system of governance/ rulership/ dictatorship.

De facto plutocracy, religious demagoguery, and nationalistic extremism for instance, are credible threats. There are means for these things to happen whether they are horribly likely or not.

Davis

Indeed Kristina is totally right. I would say the biggest threats by far would be the emergence of a political party that chips away at features of democracy and more importantly corporate and online elements that have always forever been trying to do that. Some countries have introduced strong limits to how much money an entity can donate to a political party (Canada, much of Europea) which has been extremely helpful at limiting corporate influence, and instantly undemocratic feature. The US supreme court blocked a similar law because of an overly broad interpretation of “free speech” so, the US seems doomed for an extremely long time to insane undue influence by big companies on politicians with their millions of dollars of donations which demonstrably influence legislation against the people’s interests. I’d say until the constitution is changes or there is a dramatic supreme court reversal, the US is stuck with that. Most western countries have strong limits on lobbying but they are most certainly not strong enough. When the oil industry helps write legislation that regulates it…uhhh…it should be obvious how problematic that is. But the biggest threat, a zillion times more than any impotent constitutional monarchy, is that of social media. Biggest threat ever do democracy (it is mind boggling that governments don’t do more about that) as well as the easy spread of extremely super massively dangerous brain viruses like anti-vax. The sudden influence of people who randomly generate conspiracies and peddle them (some of them making money out of their destructive forces) and how social media actively helps spread them (is incentivised to do so) should be alarming to anybody who cares about a stable democratic society.

_Robert_
    Participant

A little conversation about British royals here on AZ and bingo they pop up in the news with stories about being worried about a dark-skinned baby in the family. Not a good look these days, kind of like the royal silence after Lady Di died. Probably several screen plays already in creation…..

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

Megan Markle did that family a big favor.  For a while there, I thought they going to have to knight a Royal Banjo Player.

🪕🛶🐖😁

_Robert_
    Participant

Simon Paynton
    Participant

What is a minimally good life and are you prepared to live it?

What is that?  Surely a minimally good life, since it is not wasted, is a great life.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

“That mouth is perfect fer eatin’ mustard biscuits!  Mmm-hmm!” 😁

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Rest assured, I wasn’t accusing you or anyone else of being a Monarchist.  I just found the seeming deference and acceptance a little disturbing on an Atheist/Freethought Forum.

@Encogitationer – I never thought so for a second.

If you are ever in Dublin and pick up a Wi-fi network called “NoGodsNoMasters” you will be close to my house 🙂

Simon Paynton
    Participant

What is a minimally good life

What indeed?  Is it a life with “minimal goods”?  Minimal for what?  Minimal happiness?  Is a minimally happy life good enough?  It’s better than a wasted life I guess.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.