Sunday School

Sunday School August 21st 2022

This topic contains 32 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

When will their churches condemn the Christian nationalism of MAGA politicians?

Kansas City congregation has no time for its pastor.

A look inside the priest-penitent privilege where Christians think they can ignore civil law.

Salman Rushdie will never be safe. That’s what fundamentalism is. We have a duty to protect him.

Is Latin more effective in driving out demons? Let’s ask a real exorcist!

Worshippers at Oakland’s Zide Door Church of Entheogenic Plants take magic mushrooms to have a “direct experience with themselves.” All hail the master molecule!

Atheists win settlement after suing Christian Nationalist lawmaker.

God hates tacos….or does she?

Will Nonbelievers really believe anything?

World of Woo:  Acupuncture goes mainstream again according to some talking heads.

Environment: The Earth has passed ‘Peak Agricultural Land’.

A new report details the extent to which nonreligious LGBTQ people experience both religious oppression and anti-LGBTQ sentiment. (Report linked in article).

The possible evolutionary role of religious thinking.

­I just want everyone to know that on moral grounds I would never engage in virtue signalling.

A new model for predicting belief change in people when they are presented with evidence-based information.

Opponents of science believe their knowledge ranks among the highest, but it is actually among the lowest.

Saudi doctoral student gets 34 years in prison for tweets. I guess no golfing for her so.

Challenging the Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum mechanics.

DNA from ancient skeleton points to a new group of humans.

Voyager turns 45: What the iconic mission taught us and what’s next.

Long Reads: The ‘illusion of knowledge’ that makes people overconfident. The curious afterlife of a brain trauma survivor. We exist so what can that fact teach us about the Universe?  Self-taught AI shows similarities to how the brain works.

Sunday Book Club:  There Are Places in the World Where Rules Are Less Important Than Kindness.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  What do Con Artists and Religious Leaders have in common? TED Talk: Why there is no way back for religion in the West. Morality without religion with Frans de Waal. Daring mighty things in a land of sand and rock.

Have a great week everyone!

_Robert_
    Participant

re: The possible evolutionary role of religious thinking.

new forms of religion don’t usually sweep away older forms, but rather are grafted onto them precisely because the older forms are so deeply engrained into people’s psyche that they are difficult to erase.
    Dunbar writes in the final paragraph of his book:

it is difficult to see any convincing evidence for anything that will replace religion in human affairs. Religion is a deeply human trait. The content of religion will surely change over the longer term, but, for better or for worse, it is likely to remain with us.

It is gonna be hard to tell, but I think religion dies like a damped sine wave..

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

I would agree that religion is a deep-seated human trait. But that does not mean it is genetic. There is no “god gene”. Religions arose due to human ignorance and our predisposition to need an answer to what we didn’t understand. Any answer, to the uncritical mind, even if it is the wrong answer, is better than no answer. We don’t know ergo it must be god.

Until a few years ago we did not know about germs, quantum theory, DNA, plate tectonics or that that we exist in a tiny galaxy in an ever-expanding Universe with 2 trillion or more other galaxies. We started out with animism and assigned gods to lightening, earthquakes, mountains, the sun, and most things we did not understand. Whenever we ‘offended’ them we got plagues and sicknesses.

I wish I was special, so fucking special. (if you are humming that lyric, it’s because it’s a cultural meme that is being passed down, just like religion). The number of people that believe something to be true is not evidence of the truth of the proposition. We now have access to more knowledge that ever before. Most will take advantage of that and develop our minds. We will come to understand that the Universe does not think we are special. It does not care. There are no gods and we don’t care that there are no gods.

Those that cling to their primitive beliefs with fade away. Almost everybody I know is an atheist. Thirty years ago, I was in a silent minority. That’s how evolution works. I am waiting to see the graph flat-line.

And that is the history of religion in one minute! Now I am going for a 10K walk to worship the Sun god.

jakelafort
    Participant

Why religion arose is probably multi-faceted. But i guess our tendency to impute agency to fucking almost everything was the sine qua non. Oh look i scratched my ass and picked my nose. And it rained! I sacrificed a virgin and the lightening ceased.

So religion was a kind of magic derived of the natural tendency to see cause and effect or patterns in our behavior. It is a way to control things and to make the universe intelligible.

Then add tribalism. Religion is tribal. ON top of that like our primate cousins we are all about power and status. Control the fire. Control the magic. Bingo! ya got the power…

_Robert_
    Participant

I think religion is formed over and over again by the people exhibiting intelligence in the right tail of the bell-curve, just to keep everyone duller than them in line, via an imaginary high-power enforcer. Ever read “Lord of the Flies”?

This is why there are always worldly and post-worldly rewards for believers and punishments for all non-believers. Why not explain all the unknown science while you are at it, it just reinforces the story.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Will Nonbelievers really believe anything?

I encountered this notion on another Forum, as well as the alleged quote from CLew, which another member rightly pointed out was also attributed to “O.G.” K. Chesterton.

My answer was that it doesn’t matter who said it, it didn’t make it true. I then pointed out that Atheism is not a belief, but a lack of belief in the existence of a God or Gods and that Atheism carried no necessary connection to any positive belief.

I then said, yes, some Atheist believe in other Supernatural entities and realms e.g. spirits, Karma, Nirvana, etc. and Atheists have a variety of philosophical/social/political views and various mental states. None of this, of course, is the same as “falling for anything.”

Autumn
    Participant

­I just want everyone to know that on moral grounds I would never engage in virtue signalling.

How virtuous of you. 😉

It’s mentioned in the article, but one of the difficulties is that virtue signalling/ moral grandstanding can appear on the surface to be the same as genuine statements not made to earn moral clout or social standing. Social media is, in particular, a frustrating medium in this regard because it trends toward sound bites over substance.

‘Black lives matter’ isn’t virtue signalling as a statement. Virtue signalling is if you make that statement because first and foremost you want the social benefits of making that statement. And while it’s imperfect, one of the measures that would help differentiate is looking at the substance behind the statement (if there is any). Corporations will adopt the slogans of social movements, but if we look at how they run their operations or how they spend on things like political funding, we often see a disparity between words and actions.

What is darkly comedic is how the term ‘virtue signalling’ is itself used as a form of virtue signalling. But you’re not going to counter virtue signalling with those two words alone (or with the addition of accusing a person of being a narcissist).

What is darkly comedic is how the term ‘virtue signalling’ is itself used as a form of virtue signalling.

Yes but at least there is an app for that….

Autumn
    Participant

TP: for all the shit going on in the world*.

*Some exclusions may apply.

@Enco – I then pointed out that Atheism is not a belief.

What? Are you saying you atheists believe in nothing? I don’t want to meet people who believe in nothing.

When I am asked to “disprove god existence” I now ask to see their “Proof of God” so that I can. It has defeated all of them so far. 🙂

Randy Rainbow has an update on Thought and Prayers.

Unseen
    Participant

Is atheism a belief on its own or is it a term covering beliefs about beliefs. To hear some atheists talk, there’s no such thing as atheism if atheism is a denial of the existence of God. To them, it’s a belief about believing. Namely, the belief that atheism is actually an absence of belief. To many, myself included, that’s not atheism, that’s agnosticism.

Personally, I believe (and claim that) God doesn’t exist, assuming the God described in the Bible and held to exist by Christians, Jews, and Muslims. A cosmic sorcerer who created the world using his magic, running the whole show magically as well.

Well, I don’t believe in magic.

My disbelief is the same as my disbelief  in the hollow or flat earth or that there’s a rhinoceros in my bathroom.

Some things are simply absurd or impossible and disbelieving in them is 100% justifiable, no apology required.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Unseen.

_Robert_
    Participant

Is atheism a belief on its own or is it a term covering beliefs about beliefs. To hear some atheists talk, there’s no such thing as atheism if atheism is a denial of the existence of God. To them, it’s a belief about believing. Namely, the belief that what they call atheism is actually an absence of belief. To many, myself included, that’s not atheism, that’s agnosticism. Personally, I believe God doesn’t exist, assuming the God described in the Bible and held to exist by Christians (Jews, Muslims). A cosmic sorcerer who created the world using his magic. I don’t believe in magic. My disbelief is the same as my disbelief in the hollow or flat earth or that there’s a rhinoceros in my bathroom. Somethings are simply absurd or impossible and disbelieving in them is 100% justifiable, no apology requitrf.

It’s an unfortunate tag, atheism. Non-belief in god(s) is not really an “-ism” or ideology, in my opinion. However, many non-believers espouse “anti-theism” and/or humanism, and well then perhaps the term “atheism” gets conflated with ideologies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.