Sunday School

Sunday School December 23rd 2018

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Gen Z does not need to identify with any religion. They embrace the word “Atheist”. A recent poll finds atheism is no longer a political taboo. They can see through the hypocrisy of the Evangelicals. In fact most Christians are hypocrites and not professional pains in the ass like some atheists are.That is something they should reflect upon when they can’t seem to rise above their faith instinct.

I wonder how anyone, young or old, could still be a member of the Catholic Church. They still listen to Rev. Pedophile preach to them about the morals of an imaginary god. At last the final bell is tolling for Cardinal Pell. Did you hear the one about the two nuns?

It’s always at this time of the year when our thoughts turn to the good works done throughout the year by the good people of the Satanic Temple. I hope they continue the fight against Project Blitz.

In the religious freedom debate, the bullies are playing the victim. Some bullies, driven insane by their religion of peace, often want to kill those who don’t believe in their imaginary little god.

This weeks’ Woo: The worst pseudoscience of 2018.

Climate Change: Is the EPA fit for purpose?

I make a point to (almost) never teach Science to theists during a debate about god.

What if consciousness is just a product of our non-conscious brain? Maybe there is no such thing as a conscious thought?

Who would want to be morally perfect?

To construct a robust philosophy for life means understanding human nature.

New ideas on how life on Earth began and who really discovered the expanding Universe?

What to expect from Science in 2019.

Winter Solstice: the astronomy of Christmas and a winter wonderland on Mars.

This week I am reading this book: The Porpoise.

Some photographs taken last week.

We pause to remember: Solzhenitsyn.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  Earlier this year I attended “Schrodinger at 75: The future of Biology”, a 2 day lecture series in Dublin. The various lectures are listed on the right of the page and speakers include 6 Nobel Prize winners and Daniel Dennett to close.  Here are several videos here from the recent London Secular Conference. Some seasonal puzzles to ponder.

Have a great week everyone!!

10 quotes from atheists.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Who would want to be morally perfect?

– Susan Wolf makes a useful distinction between “moral” and “non-moral” activities – we are just going about our business, and sometimes this affects others.  In other words, benefit, harm and fairness – interpersonal morality.

Other cultures, say in the East, moralise many parts of life that we think should be a free choice, and so these are part of morality in that culture where they are not in ours.  For example, all kinds of particular social rules.

I think that nobody could be a moral saint, whatever that might mean, because we all screw up from time to time and make the wrong judgement over what we do.

Strega

Thanks Reg!

Strega

“Who would want to be morally perfect?”

I once had a watchmaker try to sell me a $10,000 watch.  I suggested for that money I could fly to Hong Kong, stay in the finest hotel, and have an identical one forged for me before returning first class to the UK. He told me the watch was accurate to the extent it would lose 0.001 seconds over twenty years.  To which I replied that having such a perfect timepiece would simply fill me with frustration as every train I waited for would fail to arrive ‘on time’.

Perfection is the inevitable heralding of indignation.

@strega, Socrates would have approved of your purchasing decision 🙂

Noel
    Participant

Thanks for Sunday School Reg.

Gen Z: Daughter ended up getting up in class, she’s studying for her masters, and getting adamant about ecology, religion, and the ills of it. After she ranted for about 10 minutes she figured that she offended a few of her Believing classmates. She went to apologize to her friend, from Ireland, and her friend from Ireland told her that she was right with her. That her dad calls and asks her if she’s gone to church; to which she replies, “Now daddy, you know that I’m still an Atheist.” The same with the middle eastern violinist who studies with her and, despite being a genius and graduating from Cambridge, is the bane of his Muslim family for not being a believer. Her stint in England has opened her eyes to just how many young people are Atheist just like her.

Hi Noel, travel and meeting people from other cultures is the best way for anyone, of any age, to have their own views challenged. Our views and biases can be continually confirmed if we remain static or only seek information from sources that we already agree with. Meeting new people removes the glue of “group polarization” and compels us to challenge ourselves.

My niece in Atlanta with a GPA of 4.3 recently asked me “Which religion does Jesus belong to”? It reminded me that not all of the “Bible Belt” owns or reads a Bible. At first I thought it was a trick question but she was being sincere. She has had zero religious indoctrination instruction at home or in school. The best thing is that she, like many young people, don’t even consider themselves atheists. In the same way that we don’t consider ourselves “a-unicornists”, to coin a terrible phrase. They are more likely to call themselves “anti-theists” because they (correctly) see religions as backward and useless. They are the evolution of our collective human intellect.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

In the religious freedom debate, the bullies are playing the victim.

– I found the article incoherent.  Julie Szego says that religious belief is a choice, so this makes it different from race or gender, for example, which are not choices.  However, this is rather judgemental, and assumes that choosing religious belief is like choosing your variety of gourmet hamburger, which it may not be.

What is the real argument?  I think it’s all about a clash of values – Biblical versus common human decency.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

this is rather judgemental

It’s judgemental because it punishes religious believers by not allowing them freedom of belief on these bogus grounds.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.