Sunday School

Sunday School February 25th 2024

This topic contains 189 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 181 through 190 (of 190 total)
  • Author

jakelafort
    Participant

Not enough fat on that corned beef sandwich. Man i am gonna love having lab meat although the plant based is getting better and better.

You misunderstood me i think. I am questioning the tell for bigotry. It seems to me that having friends of a particular ethnicity might well indicate no racial animus. It is certainly not dispositive of the issue but it is a good sign.

jakelafort
    Participant

Simon i don’t want to be associated with any political parties. I always considered myself far more liberal than conservative. But seeing the progressives in action sickens me.

I think minorities always need to be hip to racism. It seems like the conservatives at Fox like to have Blacks to show how fair minded they are. Racism from the left against Jews is out in the open in terms of treatment of Jews who are also progressives. They’ve been discriminated against over and over. Dumb assed Jews to want to be a part of that movement.

The racism against Blacks has been out in the open in the USA for so long. There are parts of the US that are much worse than others. And there are a lot of 2 faced people who will say of you something much different and demeaning than they will do to your face.

But what do you think of the litmus test if you will of some of my best friends are…?

Unseen
    Participant

@ Jake

If I say some of my best friends are atheists, it does not mean I harbor a conscious or unconscious hatred of atheists.

And yet, you seem to rely on a parallel—and equally nonsensical—construction when it comes to attitudes toward Jews.

jakelafort
    Participant

@ Unseen

No idea why you continue to misconstrue/misunderstand.

Let me try again.

There is a common perception that when a person says something like the following it means they are a bigot…I can’t believe you are accusing me of hating Balhoonians! Some of my best friends are Balhoonians.

I have questioned the validity of that so called tell. That is all. That simple.

Unseen
    Participant

@ Jake

You’re not getting me: It tells you nothing. It’s not a “tell.” What matters is what is in one’s (figurative, of course) heart and soul.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Unseen.

jakelafort
    Participant

“And yet, you seem to rely on a parallel—and equally nonsensical—construction when it comes to attitudes toward Jews.” If i was a robot or wokester i might have relied on it. Instead i questioned it.

I would not be so sure it tells nothing. Certainly in context if we know a person and their linguistic speech patterns it might betray bigotry or even pride in having a friend from a particular ethnicity. Or it may be that it is predictive of bigotry in and of itself or that coupled with other indicators the probability goes up or down. Bigotry algorithms.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

But what do you think of the litmus test if you will of some of my best friends are…?

I don’t think a White person who genuinely loves their Black friends can be racist towards them except out of ignorance.  All of us are still discovering how racism works.

@jakelafortAfter a day on the trail anything edible tastes like manna from the spaghetti monster. 

Yes, I am just back from a 4 day hike around Lisbon. So many hills!!!

Unseen
    Participant

@ Jake

One thing I learned from my intensive studies of Wittgenstein (for my MA) is that words have no meaning…apart from context, apart from what they are used for.

Fun example: A couple is out for a stroll in the local mall, passing a jewelry shop. She stops and observes “that’s a pretty bracelet.”

That could be taken at face value, the meaning being “this is the sort of thing I find tasteful,” but since her birthday is coming up soon, it probably means something else.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

It reminds me of the story of two wolves:

I think this article by Scott Barry Kaufman is really well put together and has some interesting theories.  It seems that SBK really knows what he is talking about.  https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2020.01006

Viewing 10 posts - 181 through 190 (of 190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.