Sunday School

Sunday School February 3rd 2019

This topic contains 37 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Noel 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Another 300 Catholic priests are accused of sexually abusing children, this time in Texas. I keep asking Catholics – “Why are you still a Catholic”?

This weeks’ Woo:  Ignorant medical advice should not be digested.

Climate Change: Global Warming and the Polar Vortex.

Here is a new survey from Pew on the relationship between religion, health and happiness.

Imagine if all school children studied this University syllabus as they went through the education system.

Hail Satan, says the man who is scared of Mike Pence and how the religious right gained unprecedented access to the Office of POTUS.

I first wrote about Asia Bibi over 8 years ago.

Richard Dawkins, with one foot still in the stirrup.

An experiment showing Natural Selection in real time.

Sometimes doing the right thing can be cruel.

Truth in Science is neither absolute nor timeless and just because it’s falsifiable doesn’t make it good science as every professor of stupidity knows.

I once overheard two Jehovah Witnesses say that they brought new recruits to my house so they could debate “a real live atheist”. So I find this a funny story about some more liars for Jesus.

Sunday Long Read: The Waco Cult.

This week I am reading this book: The Goodness Paradox: The Strange Relationship between Virtue and Violence in Human Evolution.

We pause to remember: Michael Clark.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  Speaking up about climate change. Bill Maher has some new rules about it too. The Rise of Atheists in America.

There is another form of temptation, even more fraught with danger. This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives us to try to discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which can avail us nothing and which man should not wish to learn.

Saint Augustine of Hippo, loved by Christian Theologians for over 1600 years.

_Robert_
    Participant

RE: Here is a new survey from Pew on the relationship between religion, health and happiness.

So I see that a lot of the study is based on self reporting. Why anybody who understands the scientific method would use self reporting as actual data is beyond me. The Pew research center is bullshit. I am sure they would conclude that jesus walked on water.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

I see that a lot of the study is based on self reporting…

It is difficult to deduce any meaningful objective data from subjective opinions other that to say that many people feel a certain way. It has a little but not much more going for it than “hearsay” which is what the book they swear by is based upon.

_Robert_
    Participant

Yeah, they drank the intoxicating cool aide; of course they are happy about their delusions. Atheists are resigned to the finite, we are glad we even exist for now; that is tempered by the real possibility that this is all there is.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The Goodness Paradox: The Strange Relationship between Virtue and Violence in Human Evolution.

This book looks interesting: a hypothesis about the “self-domestication” of the human race.  I hold to the “stone tools hypothesis” which suggests that male on male violence decreased markedly once stone tools had been invented, which meant that any male now had the potential to physically tackle any other male, and thereby evened out the playing field.  That’s in “Primal kinship” by Bernard Chapais.  This set the stage for possible cooperation.

Since then, the reason why we try to bring down dominant individuals, and disapprove of bullies is that we live in a cooperative environment.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@regthefronkeyfarmer

“self-domestication”

When you’ve read the book, can you say why he says that coalitions started to bring down dominant individuals?  There has to be a reason why they started.  From reading the review, it seems like that is a gap in his hypothesis.

The second part of Chapais’ self-domestication hypothesis is the evolution of polygamy and from there, via stone tools, monogamy.  The point is, pair-bonding, which allowed men to know who their kids were, and by extension, entire families to know that they were related.  So males were less likely to attack others whom they knew they were related to, because of kin selection (preferential treatment for genetic relatives).

Gary Bergeron
    Participant

Thanks for your efforts, Reg! 🙂

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Hail Satan

I’m not surprised they’re “misunderstood”, with a name like that.  Satanism means to worship evil.  Also, the only “Church of Satan” person I’ve ever come across was a total asshole.

Unseen
    Participant

So I see that a lot of the study is based on self reporting. Why anybody who understands the scientific method would use self reporting as actual data is beyond me.

So, suppose confidential anonymous surveys of college girls appeared to show that the rate of rape was far higher than FBI crime stats, the girls are lying?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Sometimes doing the right thing can be cruel.

I really like this article, and it reminds me of the previous one about “moral injury” (injury to one’s good moral identity).  I think that Lisa Tessman is right – when we are forced into doing something awful, even when it is the least worst option, we generally feel terrible about it.  Soldiers in war are often put in this position.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

confidential anonymous surveys of college girls

Who says that these are self-selected?  Surely they survey (say) 10,000 college girls at random and ask each one if they have been raped.  That’s a scientific survey.

Simon…Speak of the Devil . A FFRF radio interview (last week) with Lucian Greaves, in show number 666…….

If you don’t want to listen to the whole show then start at about 25:30.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Thanks Reg.  I like their mission, but I still think they’re daft as a

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.