Sunday School

Sunday School March 1st 2020

This topic contains 60 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Davis

Feminism has only partially liberated men and women from toxic-gender roles, extreme double standards, rape-culture (especially rape denial) and biases against women. Many people think the hard part is over. It’s bullshit. The extent of rape denial is only now coming out of the closet, there still isn’t a single openly gay player in NHL, NFL, NBA and all of European premier leagues. Women still face barriers getting promotions and get less compensation for identical work. Police take sexual assault slightly more seriously than before. Men also still suffer terribly from toxic male fender roles having high suicide rates, reluctance to seeking mental health services, deaths at fraternity initiations and the unfair policy of male-only conscription. Perhaps 10% of the goal is accomplished and there are a lot of people out there heavily resisting the few changes that have been made so far. It reminds me of those who live in cosmopolitan cities insisting there is no longer homophobia or racist and everyone is equal…dismissing people’s experiences to the contrary as rare one-offs and assuming because they don’t see it then it doesn’t exist.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by  Davis.

_Robert_
    Participant

Feminism has only partially liberated men and women…..

Everything is relative. Contrast Saudi vs Nordic, Vermont vs Mississippi. The rate of change is culture/region dependent it would seem.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I’m not posting all this information about Peterson again. You can look it up in the forums

You didn’t post any information before, just opinions.  This is what you always say when asked for evidence.

The fact is, there is no evidence for Jordan Peterson’s being racist, sexist or homophobic.  Look, here’s some evidence:

https://www.heraldsun.com/opinion/article216047705.html

This article on JP is worth a read.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

article on JP

I’m all ears, but I’m seeing a lot of noise and not much substance.  Yes, he’s probably a bit too sensitive to what people say.  Yes, so would anybody be if they had gone through as much abuse as he has.

I watched the video on “white privilege”.  I disagree with him, because I think that in a majority white society, all other things being equal, then two people, one white and one non-white, will be differently privileged by society.  However, that doesn’t make him consciously racist.

If he criticises “prominent femisists” – that doesn’t make him sexist.  If he says that women are statistically higher in “agreeableness” then I imagine he has science to back up his claim.

_Robert_
    Participant

Child-free is probably inately viewed as a threat to society. Raising good little humans is a sacrifice. Society created rules via governments and religion pushing forced monogamy through marriage.  Along comes liberalism with it’s feminism and gay rights to undo all that. Abortion and divorce are common. Women are cleared to have many partners and careers. Men are allowed to pursue the folly of their choice.  The birth rate in liberal societies plummets. The liberal societies fall apart and conservative repressive dictatorships/ theocracies inherit the Earth. The End.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

There does seem to be some irony in the idea that a liberated society can non-breed itself out of existence.

Child-free is probably inately viewed as a threat to society.

Reactions I get vary from “Well what if everyone decided not to have kids”, usually asked by people with more than 1 child and to which I reply “I don’t give a second thought to what other people think about my choices”. The main one is “But what happen if you start regretting your decision” to which I reply “I never have and I never even had such a scenario running in my mind”.

I am not “anti-child”. I do wonder at times why some people have so many and then seem to be constantly under stress. I have a great relationship with my nieces and nephews. Some people say “Isn’t it great to be able to hand them back” but I never think like that. It is nothing to do with not wanting responsibility or a lack of commitment on my behalf. It is just I have zero interest in having any of my own. I was in an 18-year relationship and she did not want any kids either. That was great. Some people were visible jealous of our freedom.

“We are going to the pub tonight”. “We decided to go to Paris or London for the weekend”. “I am going to Florida and will work remotely for 3 weeks”. Such statements can draw strange comments from some parents.

Approximately 150,000 people die every day. 350,000 are born. That is an extra 200,000 humans every single day. More than enough. I should get a reward for being so carbon neutral 🙂

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I just didn’t want to inflict the life I had on anyone else.  If we give birth to someone, we’re not always doing them a favour.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I’m fine now though, thanks to a certain “guardian angel”.  🙂 !

_Robert_
    Participant

I’m fine now though, thanks to a certain “guardian angel”. 🙂 !

That’s good Simon. People that have enhanced my life show up…. but not from directions I was staring at.

Davis

I gave multiple quotes and sources specifically to you and you dismissed them as entirely reasonable despite their over racist, sexist and homophobic nature. If you want to cover your eyes and plug your ears and go la la la it’s not my fault. I’m not wasting my time posting it again so you can dismiss it because of your boner for this guy. Search the forums and you’ll find them.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by  Davis.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I can’t understand your reluctance to validate your position with hard evidence.  Unless you don’t have any.  @davis, your credibility is at stake.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

OK, I’ve found the post you’re talking about.

https://atheistzone.com/forums/topic/jordan-peterson-definition-of-god/page/3/#post-26656

I genuinely want to know if someone I endorse is racist, sexist, homophobic, rapey, whatever.  I’ll look over your accusations.

I accept your credibility.  Sorry for saying that.  But I find your accusations without much substance.  He attacks feminism, not women.  Lots of feminists attack feminism too.

PopeBeanie

A bit about my impressions of the last couple or few dozen posts.

I’m feeling odd, being the sole breeder of the bunch. But I’m not feeling cynical. 🙂 I’m fine with most of the individual sentiments stated, but I’m also happy that humanity as a species hasn’t felt the same, historically. E.g. I’m glad that my parents decided to have children, and I’m supremely glad I had children! I’m not saying I’m better than anyone who doesn’t want kids. Thank y’all for paying taxes that support primary schools and any other pro-child services, other than the religion-promoting kind, of course.

As for social/progressive movements that stir up cultures, I’ve only relatively recently seen the harm they can cause, albeit my feeling is that the most damaging harm is the result of conservative backlashes. I do understand how conservatives can take offense to being called misogynists, racists, and so on. However, please correct me if I’m wrong in my generalization, it seems to me that conservatives are the most comfortable with name-calling and hateful reactions to people they disagree with. And conversely, progressives, practically by definition, are more tolerant of non-traditional behavior in general.

[I’ve deleted a few paragraphs of rant here in defense of breeding kids, and demonizing only the demonizers, like Trump and His Trumpian Tribalists.]

[OMG, I hit the Submit button and the post just disappeared into an abyss without posting. Sure enough, bad timing, my 24 hour AZ login had expired in the middle of my writing, so AZ/wordpress just left me braindead with no clue or recovery option. But I’ve found a tricky way around this fricken wordpress BUG to recover it. Here’s how, if you’re interested.]

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  PopeBeanie. Reason: added link to a post in Tips
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.