Sunday School

Sunday School November 18th 2018

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

The rights of atheists are publicly acknowledged at the UN.

Religion, not race, it the best single predictor of voting preferences. The more the non-Christian Evangelical Right continues with Project Blitz the more young Evangelicals will not only leave the GOP but also leave their Church behind. Depending on religious swing voters won’t help the GOP. It does not matter that Trump says he is more popular than Honest Abe because the fastest growing religion is “None”. The people of New Hampshire are setting the new standard as they are not afraid of atheists.

What is Non-religion?

This weeks’ Woo: Religion and the sharing of pseudo-profound bullshit.

Climate Change:  We can deal with the facts only by separating Church and State.

Why people deny Science.

We are all for free speech on campus so long as we don’t get any hint of micro-aggression that could trigger moral outrage in those of us suffering from victimhood culture syndrome. Just be sure that the speaker is not some controversial Libtard because I don’t want any of my fellow students to suffer from the Macbeth Effect which I spent all of yesterday afternoon doing my thesis on.

Why the Enlightenment was not the Age of Reason.

This will be a much discussed topic over the next few years (until it become the norm). Is it ethical to screen embryos for specific traits, like IQ?

What is the right way to regulate Gene-Edited crops?

Bizarre microbes make up a new branch of the Tree of Life.

The kilogram is the last of the seven SI units to be calculated against a physical measurement.

The moral wounds of soldiers who kill during wartime.

Muslim re-education camps in China.

Some photographs taken last week.

We pause to remember: Anne Frank.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  Jesus goes to the polls. Ted Talk: Is civility a sham?

Have a great week everyone!!
    You can safely assume that you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

– Anne Lamott.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The moral wounds of soldiers who kill during wartime.

– I would have thought this is a very hard condition to treat.  The dead would have to be brought back to life, and that is impossible.

There is an ex-gangster in Leeds called Hanif Mohammed who spent 10 years in jail for killing someone.  Now he devotes his life to helping young kids stay off the same path.

It seems that social forgiveness and “giving back” or service can help.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

_Robert_
    Participant

My father’s platoon regularly used anti-aircraft weaponry to defend themselves against all-night human-wave charges. He used the term “meat chopper”.  He came home an atheist.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

“meat chopper”

I can’t imagine having to deal with that.  Do you think he wanted to “give back”, or was a stickler for morality?

_Robert_
    Participant

After a few years of combat he was finally hit and was put on morphine and/or other drugs from then on, so we never really talked much. I don’t think he wanted to remember any of it, he hated the army.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

We are all for free speech on campus

– safe spaces, trigger warnings, microaggressions – these aren’t necessarily as batty and laughable as they can be made out.  I had a conversation with a trans woman from one of these West-coast colleges on Facebook about a year ago, and she seemed like a reasonable person and made some reasonable points.  Because they enjoy stirring up trouble, large parts of the Left now seem to live inside a shit-storm, and together with traditional prejudice, I can understand why trans people (for example) want a safe space where they can be free to relax and be themselves.  It’s no different from the women-only spaces such as the Greenham Common nuclear protest camp of the 80s.

She also made the fair point that many oppressed groups (e.g. trans people) have suffered genuine trauma and abuse, so a trigger warning is a real necessity in some circumstances.

It’s a very interesting article all in all.

But the new culture of victimhood combines sensitivity to slight with appeal to authority. Those who embrace it see themselves as fighting oppression, and even minor offenses can be worthy of attention and action. Slights, insults, and sometimes even arguments or evidence might further victimize an oppressed group, and authorities must deal with them. You could call this social justice culture since those who embrace it are pursuing a vision of social justice. But we call it victimhood culture because being recognized as a victim of oppression now confers a kind of moral status, in much the same way that being recognized for bravery did in honor cultures.

But who is the victim here really? I mean there has to be a victim. You can’t write an op-ed or give a lecture without someone being offended, right? Imagine a history professor giving warnings that his next lecture on the Trojan Wars contain accounts of violence in case anyone is triggered. Sorry but the kindergarten is in the next building down. Just follow the trail of pink marshmallows. Oh sorry my saying “pink” got you all morally outraged now?? Well build a f*cking bridge and get over yourself.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I think this is what happens when narcissists get hold of politics.  What I see in that field is widespread bullying, whether from the Left or Right.

Davis
    Participant

Drawing the line between offensive and crude comments that weren’t necessary is a difficult one. Though I have to say unintended slights are far more forgivable. I think shaming accomplishes little. When you are part of a marginalised group…the endless “harmless” comments that have even a small demeaning or derogatory connotation add up and add up fast. And as they add up one becomes so tired and exhausted and often infuriated by even small jokes that still have some negative stereotype. At some point there is no more small jokes. They are all exasperating. When Americans get frustrated by how they “have to keep their mouths shut and cannot express themselves without endless fury” I tell them that they would have far less patience that marginalised people do. To which they laugh. In a couple cases (always straight white wealthy men) I started making factual comments or funny slights at America over a few hours. Like America has the most homeless people and least support towards the poor. Or if  I want some water sometimes I just order an American beer. Their breaking point is at about 5 comments..especially if non-Americans laugh. They become enraged and even physically threatening. They cannot handle 5 little harmless slights on one day in their lives. And yet women, LGTB, minorities are expected to tollerate dozens of comments  day. Marginalised peoples breaking point is far higher and once broken…a silly joke is as flabbergasting as any. This is why I tell people in the moment how non-funny their comments really are and how degrading they are and ask them how they’d feel if the tables were turned and to choose their words a little more carefully please.

However, this is not the same as someone who has experienced a difficult moment in heir life and that this gets them a free pass in avoiding academic work. Nor do I think that comments which are somehow interpreted by a few people to have a malicious connotation when it didn’t, should not be met with he fury and shaming that it does. In fact…shaming people is effective at shutting people up…it is terrible at changing peoples attitudes. I understand safe spaces for extreme cases for people who have truly suffered recently and through a bad coincidence have course content that adds to it. In general I think such spaces are very stupid. Though I do understand the motives behind creating them.

That being said…even for harmless comments…they aren’t harmless after you’ve heard it for the thousandth time.

Noel
    Participant

Thanks Reg.

Imagine that Davis, ugly Americans getting frustrated for, well, being ugly Americans. Never ceases to amaze me just how ugly we Americans can be when in someone else’s country. And you’re right Davis, at around the fifth slight we get belligerent. I’ve been in groups where we berate this nationality or that nationality but let some foreigner say something negative about the USA and suddenly it’s serious. This is especially the case in some of our more conservative states. Tell someone you’re an atheist in some states in the south and they’ll threaten you as a blasphemer who should be put down.

Our daughter is a Fulbright Scholar and spent a year in Belgrade as a cultural ambassador to the USA. When we flew to Belgrade, to help her pack for the trip back home, my wife asked me to not speak english while in a cab. I mean we did bomb Belgrade about 29 years ago, and the Serbian people never demolished the bombed out buildings because they needed them as proof of what we did. She asked me to speak spanish. One problem with that is that my wife speaks her native Serbian; as does our daughter, but does not understand spanish. Silly Americans! LOL.

_Robert_
    Participant

Davis,

I am proud to be an American and our Bush beer is the best beer in the world. Jesus is gonna come back and open a can of whip-ass on you, you devil worshiper. Euro-pussies can keep there beer over their, that shit is black as hell.

-bubba

_Robert_
    Participant

I do love my Guinness beer at the closest approximation of what Americans think an Irish pub must be like,

You could start here Robert. When I lived in London I once flew home for a long weekend to a town  in West Cork with a friend of mine in early May. He is born and bred in London so it was a bit of a culture shock for him.  At about 2:00 in the morning he fought his way to the bar as the local traditional musicians played Irish rebel songs in his honor 🙂 He just could not get enough Guinness (God made Guinness, Guinness drinkers make beer, beer drinkers make Budweiser!). He politely asked the barmaid what time she was closing at. She looked confused and said “usually about the end of September”. Then the musicians paid for his drinks. This, just for the comments.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.