Sunday School

Sunday School 16th May 2021

This topic contains 67 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I have no problem with the genuinely “woke” when it comes to finding solutions to social inequities and removing any legal forms of discrimination. But the “virtue signalers” are a different breed. I will stir any pot just to set them off on a rant. Leave ’em to me.

I distrust political extremists in general.  I think there’s something wrong with them.

Narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy, and everyday sadism were associated with right-wing political orientation, whereas narcissism and psychopathy were associated with political extremism.

The impact of dark tetrad traits on political orientation and extremism: an analysis in the course of a presidential election

Autumn
    Participant

I have no problem with the genuinely “woke” when it comes to finding solutions to social inequities and removing any legal forms of discrimination. But the “virtue signalers” are a different breed. I will stir any pot just to set them off on a rant. Leave ’em to me.

I feel like that’s the tactical equivalent of giving a flasher a hand job.

Like it says on my messaging service “Leave a message and you might get lucky” 🙂

But for the virtue flashers I would ask them not to do it in public no matter how excited their signaling makes them. They should just get a grip and pull together as a team. I would of course sweet talk those flashy peacocks about the handicap principle.

Autumn
    Participant

Interesting. I wonder if, in the context of that article, the left is in more of an inflationary period than the right at the moment. It feels like a lot of last year’s ‘bravery’ is this year’s normal. After years of saturation on certain messages and narratives, there’s bound to be some burnout.

But I’ve definitely seen a lot of Conservatives getting some returns and glory as they bravely stand up to their own imaginations. The whole “I’m risking my career to say this” line is still getting some decent play, and it feels like more than ye olde persecution complex.

It’s also possible my point of observation biases the media I am getting. On balance, I have probably been exposed to more right wing news than left over the last year or two.

But I’ve definitely seen a lot of Conservatives getting some returns and glory as they bravely stand up to their own imaginations..

Neat phrase and I agree with it. They can’t tell the difference between  the giants of their imaginations and windmills…..it has been reported that “They say that windmills cause cancer”. A great many people are saying it, apparently…..and we need a hero to save us from that and other bigly giants.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Autumn,

I probably should have specified ºC. Roughly 18-58ºF. Those are pretty moderate temps.

Oh, I see.  That makes more sense. 🙂

I can handle it warmer, but humidity makes high tempuratures unbearable.  When it’s real humid, the only way to comfortably get anything done is after sunset.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Simon,

It’s grown from a “Dark Triad” to a “Dark Tetrad?”  That in itself is a cause for concern!

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg and Autumn,

People who virtue-signal with food are most annoying.  It’s like playing with your food; it’s just not polite!

Although, I must say, Autumn, the flasher scenario you present would out-do virtue-signalling with food any day.  😳

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Windmills may not cause cancer, but they are neither “green” nor “sustainable” sources of energy.  A source of energy that depends on climate is a dead-bang loser as a response to climate change.

Davis

Windmills aren’t green?  Could you elaborate on that?

Autumn
    Participant

Sorry. I clicked on reply but somehow I ended up editing your comment. I don’t have a record of your reply so I cannot post the original. Sorry again. If someone has the original I’ll happily edit it back!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Davis.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Davis.

Yes, I would agree that, in general, windmills are not “green“.  I really only mentioned them with respect to the imaginary giants that many conservatives tend to conjure up so that they can then slay them and  talk about they fight we need to engage in to make them go away. They make issues up where none exist and then defend their voters from them. Like Don Quixote who thought that the tilting windmills in the distance were actually evil giants.

Autumn
    Participant

Sorry. I clicked on reply but somehow I ended up editing your comment. I don’t have a record of your reply so I cannot post the original. Sorry again. If someone has the original I’ll happily edit it back!

TYRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(kidding. no worries.)

_Robert_
    Participant

Yes, I would agree that, in general, windmills are not “green“. I really only mentioned them with respect to the imaginary giants that many conservatives tend to conjure up so that they can then slay them and talk about they fight we need to engage in to make them go away. They make issues up where none exist and then defend their voters from them. Like Don Quixote who thought that the tilting windmills in the distance were actually evil giants.

As is typical in reporting these days the author states a fact that “three to four million tonnes of waste per year” will be caused by disposal of windmill blades but we get no real comparison to the carbon pollution avoided by replacing fossil fuels with wind. Sure landfills are bad however they are not the cause of the immediate danger posed by the greenhouse effect.

This is common issue with much “green” literature that I read. X is bad. Y is bad. OK, life causes death, so what. We have to stay focused on the eliminating the true causes of the upcoming mass extinctions.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Davis,

Well, to start with, windmills are made of steel, which requires enormous amounts of Carbon to burn for smelting Iron and Coke, the latter of which itself has Carbon.

Windmills also require de-icing chemicals to operate in Winter, which can pollute the water table.  Windmills and their generators also require lubrication, typically from petrochemicals, again, containing Carbon and potentially a pollutant.

Windmills also produce noise which disturbs both humans and wildlife of other species, sometimes the windmill parts produce sub-sonic noises that make humans and other species physically sick.

The bladess of windmills also kill birds in the tens of thousands that don’t know what to make of this big spinning thing in their airspace.  I imagine some humans could get vertigo staring at the blades as well.

And in many ways, windmills act in ways that offsets the meager output, not only in manufacturing, but also in heating the equipment in Winter when de-icing chemicals are not used.

Also, people who live downwind from a windmill find their houses get so cool, the thermostat trips and turns on the heat, which again offsets the meager output of the windmill and negates it’s own purpose.

And for all this trouble, windmills only catch a fraction of the energy of the wind and convert it it mechanical or electrical energy.  A grand total of only 2 percent of U.S. energy comes from windmills precisely for these reasons.

On the balance, the cheapest, cleanest energy source with the least Carbon use and exhaust is nuclear.  That, combined with natural gas and cleaner uses of petroleum-derived fuels, is the way to go for a brighter future here and wherever else we as a species may go.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.